Haunted by John Dickinson’s ghost, the “pen of the American Revolution,” this mansion was built in 1739 in Dover, Delaware by Dickinson’s father, Judge Samuel Dickinson. In 1781, the mansion was damaged by the British during a raid, and years later in 1804 the mansion was almost destroyed due to a massive fire.
John Dickinson spent his boyhood here, from 1776-1777 and again from 1781-1782. In 1952, the National Society of Colonial Dames of America bought the mansion and it is now a national historic landmark that is open to the public as a museum.
It has been noted that one can hear writing sounds coming from Dickinson’s old study and that his spirit has been seen wandering the mansion’s grounds. Electronic recordings, EVPs, of his voice has also been captured.