Frog Moor Light

Beaufort, South Carolina

It is said that a person was once hanged under a tree, near the old church, and then decapitated. It is said that the man may be seen during the night searching for his head

Traci H. says:

March 29, 2009, 9:39 pm

Okay, I’m guessing that most small towns have some kind of “Ghost light”. I live in a small town and the story behind ours is that a couple had just got married. They were traveling down a curvy road and got hit by a car. If you go out there, park and turn off your lights you can see one headlight traveling towards you and then you can see what appears to be tail lights hitting it. It is also said around the same are that a cowboy was once hung. The scary part about that is my nephew had never heard about the cowboy and when he was just 3 I had taken my sister and him with me to see the ghost light. While parked my nephew told me that there was a cowboy standing outside his car window. Needless to say I put it in drive and flew out of there.

bob jones says:

May 4, 2009, 9:00 am

alright there is a church
you piss on the grave, knock on the church door twice,
then haul *** down the road towards the tree and park beside it,
flick your lights on and off 3 times and honk yuor horn twice, then turn everything off and watch the show
i havent lived in beaufort for that long but i know thats how it goes down
try it, the light will come up next to your car

vickie says:

May 28, 2009, 8:43 am

My son has gone twice, the first time he was 16,he not only saw the Church ruins and the light but he also seen something else that haunted him for 7 years until he could go back last year at 23, he brought back videos and told us what had happend to him and 4 friends.after parking it was hot so they let the windows down(elec)but when the light started comming towards them the windows would not go up.we watched the light come towards them on the video until it got right in front of the vehicle where it stopped and started to pulse getting even bigger and brighter, then it took off.they tried to follow it but it just disappeared down the road,they caught it all on video.The next day for some reason the video camera would not come on and later that day when it did, everything was gone,like it never happend.The next day as he was packing to go home he reached into the back of his suv and the chrystal bottle of Holy Water he had taken with him was missing the top even though he never used it.(he didn’t see what what he had seen at 16,thats what he took it for.)Needless to say he is planning another trip with several people taking video camera’s.

Brendan says:

June 16, 2009, 10:08 pm

How do I find this place. I just moved to Beaufort and find this kind of stuff very interesting. I am looking to find this oak tree. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!!

Nicole says:

July 15, 2009, 4:08 pm

I will be heading to Beufort County soon and I am super intereste in this Frogmore Light.

Bridget says:

July 29, 2009, 1:08 pm

Me and my boyfriend went up to the chapel last night we didn’t see the light but got about 4 interesting pics. I will be going back to look around a little more. I want to learn more on the history though.

rick says:

August 11, 2009, 4:31 pm

Hi:My name is Rick I have lived in beaufort sc all my life and i have seen the lands end light.When i was a small boy around 1960 my mom and dad and older brother went to see it one night along with some aunts and uncles which were in another car .We went to the tree across from the church and parked cut off the lights and waited. In about thirty minutes a small red light appeared in the middle of the road about the size of a tennis ball or maybe a little bigger .We just kept watching it for a couple of minutes and then it got bigger and started to change from red to light orange and then to a mist white .After a few more minutes it started to move down the road towards the direction of the fort . By this time dad tried to crank the car but it would not start.And I thought to myself now would be a good time to get in the floor and thats the end of the light story.Another time when i was much older probally thitry or so .I was out with some friends one night running some coon dogs and we were on our last run for the night and we decided to go to lands end and try it.So we all drove to the church and parked .We were going to run the woods across from the church. What happened next was weird the dogs became real quite and the would not get out of their pens.One of the guys pulled his dog out and the dog went and got in his truck and that was the end of hunting for that night.

Rose says:

August 16, 2009, 12:17 am

I have never seen the frogmore light but my dad’s friends have my dad was at the air station in 1970 my dad has never seen the frogmore light but he has seen some very freaky things out at the islands he told me that the oak tree by were the frogmore light is supposed to be the tree is called the hanging tree the stuff my dad has seen is when he was riding on hes motorcycle on st. Helen’s is. when he in encountered a formation of about 24 black bare foot men dressed in rags.he couldn’t stop and drove through their ranks. the men appeared to not notice and did not break ranks he was going 60 mph.were they zombie?

James says:

October 29, 2009, 10:27 am

Well me and my friends are going to go back to this haunted construction site.

Jackson Stone says:

February 24, 2010, 11:08 pm

Wouldn’t it b funny if his head was stuck behind him?just kidding. I have it

markel says:

March 4, 2010, 10:54 am

well idk if this is true bt idc **** it thugging

Monica says:

March 6, 2010, 6:25 am

coty-im glad someone else has seen something in the graveyard. ok so tonight my friends and i went to see the frogmore light at lands end. we went to the church first because we did not kno what to do. We all had to pee so we pee’d in the parking lot of the church. we did not knock on the door or windows. Then we went and parked under the tree facing toward the church. We sat there all of 10 seconds before we saw a BRIGHT light that could not have been a headlight or motorcycle headlight. it pulsated and changed colors but dissappeared bcuz i turned my car back on because everyone was screaming. so i chased after it. i pulled into the church parking lot once again and immediatly my sister screamed to a degree i have never heard her scream before and begged me with everything she had to get the f*** out of there as fast as possible. needless to say she was freaked out beyond all recognition, screaming bloody murder. She told me she saw a man standing beside the church that was scary and in old clothing. he moved swiftly behind the building as my headlights shined over him. We saw the light about 4 times that night and there is no possible way you can mistake it for a headlight when you see it. Its brighter than any light i have seen and i am going back tonight to catch it on video with my other marine friends. I have never seen anything like this and even though it was a light jus the fact that it was not a headlight and obviously from something not living scared me more than anything i have ever witnessed. I would love to talk to someone who has witnessed anything else because i am going back tonight with alot of friends. I dont think i have ever been that scared in my life. i have heard that sometimes the light goes through peoples cars and even opens the doors of the car. never saw a headless man or soldier or bus just the light and my sister saw a man by the church. i would love to hear more experiences.
-Monica

Monica says:

March 6, 2010, 6:38 am

and btw yoiu do not have to pee on a grave or knock on the door or flash your lights. we saw it when all we did was pee in the parking lot.

chief says:

May 12, 2010, 12:06 pm

all,true about the light,sit long enough,very quietly and you can hear the little childeren -laughing or crying….there was a bus that hit the tree and killed a bunch of kids .i personly always hear them laughing.been there many times,some times the car won’t start until it has passed… it’s like a candle burning out,the church is the old ruins you pass to get there a john fripp’s grave, sometime the light shows up there,thats a whole other haunting a the grave,the open tomb….

Stoopidhead says:

June 17, 2010, 9:01 pm

Hello! My name is Kait and I am hot and single any offers? Just dont take my head!

HA HA HA

Myrtle Beach Haunted house says:

September 3, 2010, 12:49 pm

looking for a real haunted house this Haloween season? Try http://myrtlebeachhauntedhouse.net/

Lots of thrills and chills of a real haunted house in Myrtle Beach SC

Caitlin says:

October 6, 2010, 1:18 pm

i wanna know the exact address for this place please and thankyou

caitlin says:

October 6, 2010, 1:19 pm

what is the exact address for this place

keiri says:

October 16, 2010, 1:57 am

ok i have not been in sc my whole life and i live in lexington but i do know all the stories, the church thing came from the story about a satanic church where some kids went in on hollows eve and seen cat skellys and bones from hands blah blah and one took the dagger. the week to follow they were all found dead…. and there are a lot of tales for old state road the hanged man one it is also said that if you drive around the tree he was hanged from 3 times with your high beams on after the 3rd time you will actually see the man hanging from the tree. the one about the light well theres 2 one is an old war dude with a lantern and the bus witch we all know. theres also one about a bridge on old state if you stop your car and get out of it and run around it 3 times your car wont start up untill you try 3 times. its said because the damned souls want you to get lost in the woods like they did and die. but theres a lot out there like i said.

Brett says:

October 29, 2010, 11:30 am

I went out to see the light for the 10th time probably in about ten years. In those ten years i wasn’t really believing it was a true story, Until my friend told me he has seen it about 15 times. So we went a group of 4 people. What you have to do first is drive down to FROGMORE and go to the burnt down church and walk around.We Checked out the Grave that the light comes from FREAKY!!! It Is an Open Grave that people have tried to Brick shut but it always opens back up somehow and the bricks are always stacked neatly by his TombStone. But anyways we rode out from there and drove down farther and went and Parked at The Big Oak Tree “Hang Mans Tree” You have to turn the lights of in your car and have the keys out of the ignition. We waited and waited about 45 minutes. Then we see this light appear very bright and it looks like its coming closer and closer then it just disappeared. I Swear On my Life we seen it 3 different times that night.

Cody says:

October 31, 2010, 9:23 am

(If I mess this story up someone please tell me. I’m a 15 year old who was born here. Lived here all my life. seen the light once) Ok, first up: Get the name right. Its Frogmore. Or Lands End because of the name of the road it’s on. Second, there are a few different stories to go along with the light. One is of a soldier who was hung on The Hangman’s Tree,(Thats the tree you park under and lock your doors and turn off the car, etc.) or he was shot or something. I just remember he was decapitated. Its rumored he walks the road with a lantern looking for his head. The other is of a bus with one headlight that crashed. It was full of kids and the light is supposed to be the bus driver looking for them. That road trips you out. Its a long straight patch, so things look closer than they are. And a warning to anyone whos planning on going there: dont go alone. Its not the greatest neighborhood

Billie Jean says:

October 31, 2010, 6:45 pm

okay, yes its Frogmore, and there is a church thats called the chapel of ease…but it really has nothing to do with the light. but ive lived here my whole life and seen the light plenty of times. its pretty cool. its definitely an experience.

Heather Ann says:

February 24, 2011, 12:08 am

My husband used to live in Beaufort years ago when he was an active duty Marine. We enjoy going back to visit his relatives. He has a video of the Lands End Light, and on a recent visit back in October 2010, we went to see the light again. We started by knocking on the door of the Adams Street Baptist Church 3 times, then drove down to the old oak tree and parked under it. We only had to wait about 15 minutes before we saw the light! It was at approx. 9:30 p.m. at night on a Friday night, and there were cars occasionally coming down the road, but at the time the light appeared, there were no cars coming. At first, it looks like it could be a headlight of a car..but the color of the light changes from a flickering yellow to orange, and seems to sway a bit as it floats closer to the tree. We were determined to let it come as close as possible, but became too frightened when it was about 12 feet away. At that point, it was directly in front of the car. My husband shined the hi-beams on it, and it stopped moving and shone brighter than ever, a brilliant silver color, and changed shape to something that resembled a pinwheel. It is the most beautiful light, brighter than anything you’ll see, but it does not hurt your eyes. Anyway, after about 2 seconds, the light changed back into the shape of a white orb, and darted straight off into a field on the right side of the tree. We didn’t have a problem starting the car to leave, and we could not see the light once it had darted into the field. On our next visit to the area, I hope to get it on video again and hopefully will have the courage to let it get very close. One interesting thing to note about the video..when zoomed in upon, the close-up view of the light looks exactly like what a cell looks like under a microscope, divided into equal parts with a nucleus. If it is spirit electromagnetic energy, a PX device could probably pick up an EVP. Sea water is an excellent conductor of electricity, and because of all the deaths from the civil war era and slavery, that explains why this area would be a hotbed of paranormal activity. EVPs of hissing and growling noises have been picked up at the ruins of the old fort. Those videos can be found on you tube, along with another one called “Lands End Light” about the light. I would not recommend peeing on a gravestone, as that is very disrespectful! Also, there have been at least 2 documented car accidents and deaths that were a direct result of people chasing the light. It seems to appear at any time of night, regardless of whether or not there is a full moon. At some point, I want to contact a paranormal research group and have them review the site. I bet their EMF detectors would be going haywire!

LYNN says:

May 24, 2011, 11:24 pm

Well I was raised in Beaufort and I lived in Frogmore right smack in the middle of it. I lived in the apt above the store and one night myself and 3 other people that have lived in Beaufort most of their lives decided to go and see what we could see at the big tree, well after sitting there for alittle over an hour we saw this light swaying from one side to the other and it kept getting closer and closer and when it got to the tree, we started the car and starting moving and yes we were scared well the light started following us and the faster we went it stayed with us and then it stopped. Now I’m not telling you someone elses story I am telling you mine!! It is true for those of you who have yet to see it go and be patience!!!

steve says:

July 16, 2011, 4:36 pm

i have lived on saint helena island for 30 years and the light is on lands end road in frogmore sc the church is where the light comes from and wont go past the hangmans tree .the hangmans tree is called that because after the lands end fort was finished the slaves that worked there was hung so that no one would know the wearabouts of the fort.as for the light it is of a school bus that crashed there.the bus driver was stabed by a kid on the bus lots of kids died in the fire.it is said to be the bus driver looking for the kids.so the 100th differnt story is told about the light.i have seen this light 5 times in my life here in frogmore sc.dont know what it is just know that it will scare the hell out of you each and every time you see it.ad for as far as your car not starting dont happen the light apperd on the hood of are car one time and we left in the car.

Tom says:

October 14, 2011, 9:11 pm

I saw the Frogmore light in 1970 or 1971. We parked by this big tree near the old fort on the main road. There were several other cars parked on one side, so, we went past them to the other side. It was about midnight. I looked down the road and saw what I thought was a car backing up- one red tail light moving from side to side. When it got to the tree I could see it wasn’t a car-just a light. When it got to the tree it started to rise in the air, and changed from red to orange to yellow. When it got to the top of the tree it disappeared. I don’t know what it was, but I think you can rule out swamp gas. Swamp gas isn’t that predicable. It’s the only unnatural thing I’ve ever seen, except for maybe the 1969 Mets.

Kelly's Wife says:

June 23, 2013, 8:04 pm

In 1969/70 we parked and saw the “Frogmore Light”. It did not travel but showed up in the top of the oak tree and across the road from us. My favorite version is of the civil war sentry who was beheaded and is searching for his head. One night on the way back to the main road a foolish man was walking near the beginning of the road swinging a lantern. Three cars slammed on their brakes and we all had a good laugh when we saw what it was.

kim says:

July 19, 2013, 2:09 pm

@Bev.. I have been to the fort only a handful of times, I do not like to go due to my sensitivity to spirits. The last time I went because family had come to visit and wanted to see. We were in front of the old fort, snapping pictures, as my husband started yelling at the spirits. In the photos you can tell the more that he would yell, the more the orbs would appear, until they were everywhere. We didn’t see them until we went back to the camera and looked. I had snapped many photos, first it was 2 than 5, 10, after that I couldn’t tell you how many. I haven’t returned since than.

on the Frogmore light, I lived here as a small child and only left for about 6 years. I returned here in 1987, I have heard this story on the frogmore light…A soildier returning from war going to meet his fiance, came upon another man (maybe the father or robbers) and the fought and he was decapitated some how. And he is out there searching for his head to finish his journey to his fiance.

Amanda says:

November 8, 2014, 1:05 am

Its called the Land’s End light not the Frogmoor light… and there are several stories about it no one knows which one is true. but if you sit underneath the hangman’s tree in Land’s end you’ll see it and if it passes through your car it shuts your car down completely and you can’t do anything until it leaves your car. I’ve experienced that personally. I ran in to the darn thing and it shut my car down while i was driving, scared the **** out of me…

harley says:

April 17, 2015, 1:03 am

I have lived in Beaufort all my life and down land’s end rd for a while and I agree with everyone about the light. What I want to know is what’s wrong with Grace bible camp down bible camp rd. St Helena sc . It looks like a massacre and people see a bloody man welding an axe. Anyone know what happened there. I can find proof the camp existed but nothing else.