House on B.I.S. Rd

Lancaster, Ohio

In 1899, a sixteen year old maid named Gail Parish and her father came from nearby Athens County to work for the family of the mansion. Her father, a blacksmith, hired a young man named Johnny Kelly to assist him in the smithy. Gail and Johnny soon became lovers, and when her father and the owners of the mansion found out, they forbade to two ever to see each other again. Jilted, Johnny broke into Gail’s room one night and slit her throat with a shaving knife. In her blood on the stairwell he wrote “If I cannot have you, no one can.” It is said that if one uses a Ouija board to conjure the spirit of Gail, her calico dress will appear in the closet.

« · 1 · [2] · 3 · Next » ·

luisa says:

April 17, 2008, 4:34 pm

Will thats like so scary be careful you girls outhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giselle says:

April 17, 2008, 4:37 pm

Will that is creepy scary 4 realls dudes!!!!!!

luisa says:

April 17, 2008, 4:39 pm

will **** that ****

Kimi says:

April 30, 2008, 10:27 am

I have always wanted to go to mud house mansion i live about 4 miles from it, but ms. Mas the women who owns it has ppl watch it like 24/7 so i never have went! They fire guns and ****, but i would really like to its creepy, even when you just drive by it

Kaite says:

June 27, 2008, 5:36 pm

LOL hahaha its like a mix of Sweetney Tod and someother movies!!!
No afence or anything…

aaron says:

July 16, 2008, 12:32 pm

this story isnt real becuase i went their once and had a ouiji board and nuthin happened

taylor says:

August 11, 2008, 5:54 pm

holly **** i use to live on this road!!!!!!!!!!***

calligraphy1019 says:

November 13, 2008, 9:22 pm

mudhouse mansion has a history of a family of five being murdered there. the last pics of it in saw on the web showed it to be very dangerous to walk in. the floors are rotted away in places and there’s water in the basement. places like this are full of poisonous molds that when inhaled can kill you fast. although i don’t remember this house on bis rd., i can say i was in an old farmhouse/log house that had a barn and pond. there certainly were things going on in that house too. it wasn’t too far from the top of blue valley rd where it meets bis rd. turn right and it was on the right side of bis road about a quarter of a mile ahead. if anyone has any addresses and stories of places in lancaster or the surrounding area about haunted houses i’m gathering these for investigation in the near future. it’s time that lancaster had more information on it’s haunted locations.

Sairene says:

March 21, 2009, 1:11 pm

i cant belive it. this site doesn’t even have anything on stonewall cemetary…. my friend use to live beside it but shes moved now. my dad and i went by it one day while on our way home from my friends house,and all of a sudden pulled over.i asked him what was wrong as he got out of the car.he just waved at me to get out of the car. we walked over to the rounded wall,and i asked him what it was.(i didnt know that i lived so close to stonewall mat the time) but as i asked him i noticed the little plack that said “STONEWALL CEMETARY”. dad lifted me onto the top of the wall then he got up and found a way down then lifted me down. i can’t begin to tell you what the vibe i got from inside that place. i do not recomend going inside. i screamed at my dad when i called my freind up to ask her about the cemetary, and found out it was haunted.ever since i’ve loved the supernatural though.

calligraphy1019 says:

March 26, 2009, 10:38 am

It would be difficult to do a proper investigation on Stonewall Cemetery with Rt. 22 so close to it. There’s that and the brand new, very large house that’s nearly on top of it as well. There’s no parking and most likely signs posted saying it’s closed from dusk to dawn. Since structures like this have been damaged in the past by those wishing to walk on them, stone slippage or just the potential for great harm I imagine that is posted as forbidden. You can look in the iron gate at the configuration of stones inside. Only one person was ever buried there. It was deeded to the u.s. government in hopes that presidents would be buried there. So, then, it was meant to serve as a presidential cemetery but never has been used as such. The large, thick stones which make up the enclosure would’ve been a bright, cheerful rose color when first built. Weathering of such sandstone causes it to look streaked and blotted by blackness which makes it look creepy. All in all, not much to look at, or see, but if you go you can be sure you will see it since it’s right next to the county road bearing it’s name, Stonewall Cemetery Road. Past reports of dark figures were most likely those who told other curious people it was haunted, and then waited to scare them at that location. It used to be a regular pilgramage site by high schoolers in the area. It was more well known as a make out spot than for hauntings. That road in those days was pretty much devoid of houses in general. So, not much mystery there.

Samantha says:

April 1, 2009, 5:52 pm

I live on B.I.S. Rd since for a long time. I have never heard this story nor seen the house and I know that road like the back of my hand. Feel free to check it out but expect disappointment. It is off Broad street. IT ends at the state prision.

Patty says:

April 3, 2009, 5:50 pm

Samantha, How long have you lived on B.I.S. Rd.? Are you closer to the state prison end of that road? I know of one place, near where Blue Valley Rd. links to B.I.S. Rd., that’s on the eastern side of the road, that is a log cabin. Now, you probably don’t know it as a long cabin but having seen it myself I can tell you it is one. From the outside you’d never know what was underneath the siding. When I visited there in the late 1970′s it was because the kids living there invited us up for a party. They hadn’t lived in the house very long. The three kids who lived there wanted to give us a ride home one day after band practice. They asked some questions about their house but not knowing which particular house they were talking about we didn’t have any information for them. I do remember they asked if we’d known any of the previous occupants. They seemed too eager to give us rides home which made us feel uneasy since they were fairly new to our school. We noticed that when they spoke about their house they seemed scared. I told them I’d seen this and the first time they said they couldn’t talk anymore about the house until they talked to their parents. Not knowing them well we thought them to be sort of odd because of their behaviour about their house. Finally, the next time they offered us a ride home they looked way to eager which made us really want to wait for someone else to offer us a ride. When they finally said they could talk with us about their house and it was about something in it that was scaring them badly, we were hooked! lol We lived on the lower part of Blue Valley. The top of our road hooked into B.I.S. Rd., near what is now the prison. Back then, it was called The Boys’ Industrial School, which is what B.I.S. Rd. is named for. It turned out that their house could be found by going to the top of Blue Valley where it intersected B.I.S. Rd. and turning right. It’s not far down B.I.S. Rd. from there. I can tell you that their house was a log cabin underneath. Siding on the outside of it would make you think it was a modern house. I don’t know how many other houses on that road are log cabins. There could be some which have been so modernized over the years that the owners may not even know their home is a log cabin. I’ve seen this happen alot in Lancaster, especially in the old Pioneer Addition near Anchor Hocking Plant One. Many of the log cabins built in that area are still hiding underneath siding, plaster & drywall. Their owners haven’t a clue as to what’s underneath what they believe to be a modern home. A good way to locate a house from the 1800′s on your road would be to go to the county real estate office. Once there, they can tell you what documentation they may have that could show you who owned the land on that road. This could be in the form of what’s called Platt Maps. That being said, Platt Maps may not have been made at such an early date as the one listed for this supposed haunted house. Be aware that all our county’s real estate records only go back as far as 1900 for structures. Don’t quote me but I believe they said they did this to make records easier to locate or something like that. At any rate, if you are looking at a particular property on your road and it says it was built in 1900 that dosen’t mean that’s really when it was built. It could’ve been built earlier but because of the way records are now kept, you wouldn’t know this. Another source of information would be in locating the oldest people living on that road nearest where this house is supposed to be. I’d like to know the specific address for this house too. It would be nice to know if it’s the one these kids at school lived in. Let me know if you find out anything. Patty

Rachel says:

April 17, 2009, 6:22 pm

Need the address!! thanx thatd be rele cool!

patty says:

June 3, 2009, 5:27 am

the haunted mansion is the property of the state of ohio and is part of the property which used to be the old boys industrial school. it is presently a mininum security prison called the southeast ohio correctional institute. The mansion looks empty now. Again, this is part of a present day prison. Act accordingly.

jamie says:

October 27, 2009, 2:59 am

I have lived on Hamburg Rd since I was a child. Hamburg and BIS merge together onto S. Broad St. I have heard of many places in and near Lancaster to be haunted….this is not one of them. This is a fake story, based off of very similar ones throughout the country.

patty1019 says:

October 27, 2009, 3:43 am

From memory, I know that my uncle who used to work up there used to do the custodian work in that mansion and said he had some paranormal experiences in there when it was the boys industrial school. No one else would go in there to clean the place and since he was over 7 ft. tall and built like a tank he thought it was all talk and that nothing would scare him. They had agreed to pay him very well for this work and laughed that everyone was chicken for letting stories get to them. After the fact he had to wait for new employees who might take this job so he could be free of it. He complained to us that working in there was really really bad. He experienced screams and other sounds he could not find explanations for. He was an intelligent man who knew how to fix anything so he knew sounds associated with houses and buildings in general. He was touched in this mansion by someone who wasn’t there when he spun around quickly. As for the elaborate story about the two lovers I cannot say if that’s true or not but I can say that my uncle was very scared about working in that mansion. He was an honest, hard-working man all his life. Maybe someone could get the library to do a search for anything on that house from it’s past.

Jane says:

November 29, 2009, 7:58 pm

Patty 1019 – I have heard of this story and would like to hear more from you for our website. Can you e-mail me with info I can use? HIT@hauntedhocking.com. Thanks!

Shelley says:

May 23, 2010, 10:31 am

I have been to mud house mansion nothing has happened really except for a man in a old truck with a dog and a gun comes from no where. The Stone wall cemetery I went there with a few friends back in the 90s when there was really no houses around there used to be a place to park in front of the cemetery. I saw torches coming from the woods in the back and my card would not start after what seemed to be 5 mins it finally started they say devil worshipers used to sacrifice animals there.
also there is an old cemetery off old sugar grove rd go out of town over a bridge I believe it was the first rd to the right I cant remember the name of the rd I was there just last night and my daughter and her friend at the same time said they seen a little girl running in the field (spirit girl)I think I saw a figure floating but it couldve also been an old tombstone but any way you turn your lights out and park on the side of the rd the cemetery is split in half by the rd it is pretty creepy check it out also out there somewhere is says there is a humble bridge you call annas name and a blue light comes toward you it is suppose to be her spirt not sure about it we couldnt find it but the cemetery is old and scary as all are but this one is really one to get you

Jane says:

May 23, 2010, 12:48 pm

Do you have more info on the cemetery at Sugar Grove? It sounds cool. I don’t know the story. Here is the Mae Hummel Covered Bridge info:

The Blue Flame Ghost goes like this in a nutshell. A local Sugar Grove girl named Mary starts dating a guy from the other side of the tracks and they fight all the time. She falls in love with him none-the-less. One night, they get in a fight where the old Mae Hummel Covered Bridge once stood (it is gone now, but there is a regular bridge now). She stabs him and cuts his head off and walks into the woods, not realizing she is so wounded she will die. The townspeople find her the next day dead with the man’s head in her lap. They say if you stand on the bridge and call out Mary, Mary, Mary, you see a fog roll in and then a blue flame rolls through the hills.
Here is the GPS for the bridge: 39.644627,-82.529297
Go to: http://maps.google.com/ and put the GPS number in the box and it will give you directions.

Here are the directions from Lancaster:
Lancaster, OH

1. Head east on E Main St toward S High St 1.2 mi
2. Turn right at S Ewing St 1.1 mi
3. S Ewing St turns slightly left and becomes Sugar Grove Rd SE 3.9 mi
4. Turn left at Hornsmill Rd SE 0.9 mi
5. Take the 2nd right onto Savage Hill Rd SE 0.1 mi
6. Take the 1st left onto Hansley Rd SE 1.2 mi

Hansley Rd SESugar Grove, OH 43155

patty1019 says:

May 24, 2010, 9:57 pm

Sugar Grove, Ohio Cemetery….The cemetery spoken of previously as the place where a little girl was seen is on Buckeye Rd. There’s a bridge between the little grocery store and the feed mill. You’ll travel over this bridge and turn right onto Buckeye Rd. In the 1970′s I did hear classmates who lived on that road mention seeing a glowing figure in that cemetery many times. I don’t recall the details other than that. Hope this helps. If the sign says there’s no admittance after dusk I’d respect this. Those living near this cemetery keep a close eye out for an suspicious activity so beware.

« · 1 · [2] · 3 · Next » ·