The Spanish Governor’s Mansion

San Antonio, Texas

When this building was renovated, the skeleton of a woman was found. Apparently, the woman had been raped and killed by a mob of Spanish soldiers. Since the discovery of the skeleton the woman’s spirit has been said to haunt the premises.

bianca says:

September 30, 2005, 3:26 pm

Where is this located?

jessica dentlinger says:

October 19, 2005, 3:27 pm

wow that is so mean i would never want to be her. the spanish solders should have never raped her or killed her

Sparks says:

October 24, 2005, 12:23 pm

Just wondering, but wouldn’t the girl have been haunting the building before her remains were discovered?

Kylie says:

October 24, 2005, 9:17 pm

Not if it was where her body was laid to rest after they killed her. But if they disturbed her resting place then she would start haunting it.

Sparks says:

October 25, 2005, 11:51 am

but it was not even a proprer burial

bresha says:

October 25, 2005, 9:16 pm

thats wrong and scary

Michelle says:

October 28, 2005, 3:48 pm

How do they know she was raped if her skeleton was found? There would be know signs of that at all. I call this story a lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Georgia says:

November 9, 2005, 3:00 pm

they have optopsi dummy

Georgia says:

November 9, 2005, 3:00 pm

Thats really scary

Alyssa says:

November 11, 2005, 12:09 pm

you know why would the woman just start haunting the building if she was killed along time ago.I don’t beileve this story it is a FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julia says:

November 24, 2005, 4:06 pm

Hmm. I would have to question how they know she was raped. And I think she would’ve haunted it after she was killed, not after she was found. It wasn’t a proper burial, annndd…that’s just not the way it works in any of the other ghost stories I’ve heard -_-;

spinxdj says:

January 12, 2006, 2:17 am

hello all
i would tend to agree , I think that she would haunt after being killed not found, as not being buried properly would cause a haunting but when found she would have had a proper burial and that would put her at pice , and u wouldn’t be able to tell if she where raped as she was just bones if she still had flesh on her then it might be diffrent

P says:

February 6, 2006, 2:15 am

i used to live in san antonio. the story about the girl being found is true but i’m not so sure about her being raped. that would be impossible to prove. i’m sure it’s just to make the story more interesting. i have heard several reports of her haunting the place though. who knows what’s real or not.

Mark says:

February 8, 2006, 6:38 pm

keisha ringland says:

February 16, 2006, 8:40 pm

you guys are right!!!!i wonder too why her spirit didn’t haunt the house until they found her skeleton??? kinda wierd!!! kinda stupid!!! i can see how they would find out she was raped but where is all of the other evidence??? do they have documents of who lived there??? what was her name???

February 18, 2006, 11:52 am

veronica says:

February 19, 2006, 4:27 am

where in san antonio is this mansion?

JR says:

March 1, 2006, 5:30 pm

I give the only haunted palace tour in south Texas. Ababby was discovered in the wall behind where the statue of The Mother Mary stands today. The lady that was killed was thrown in the well. If you want to know more email me. Bye JR

Donna says:

March 3, 2006, 8:48 am

Would she not start haunting the place because she was disturbed? I’m not an expert, that’s just my opinion. It doesn’t sound like a particulary good story.

Mazy says:

March 18, 2006, 4:50 pm

where is this @?????

J.R.-Alamo City Ghost Tours says:

March 24, 2006, 12:31 pm

The Story About the woman found dead was in the well.
Before the restoration the Palace was a Chinese School, a hotel, a bar, at the time of the restoration in 1929 it was a clothing store. The body found was a baby girl she was found in the wall in the chapel. From time to time Ursala Veramendi the wife of James Bowie appears from the doorway that leads from the kitchen to the dinning hall. bye J.R. Alamo City Ghost Tours.

angel says:

May 16, 2006, 12:25 pm

This sounds cool where is this @? i’m from the lower texas down south

mari says:

June 4, 2006, 5:17 pm

Ok I can understand why she would start to haunt the place after her skeleton was found, but came on how can they determine if she was raped and especially by who. Iam not saying it’s fake but get your facts straight.

lando says:

June 6, 2006, 5:40 pm

Brianna Bustos says:

July 19, 2006, 2:41 am

look pl kylie was right if she was resting peacefuly & they disturbed her then she would haunt just like kylie said.& 4 u ppl dum enuf not 2 no there is autopsy

Amazed in Texas says:

August 8, 2006, 6:47 pm

Hey, Georgia … it’s spelled “AUTOPSY”. So, who’s the dummy?

Merrissa says:

September 4, 2006, 4:55 pm

Well i belive it cause im a san antonio girl born and raised n this is a pretty scary city….Down town at nite is way freaky….n i do belive this the only reason she is haunting the place ever since her skeleton was found cause she wants to find to helped her!!!And now a days theres is technology to determine how she died n when she died…thats just me!

melissa says:

October 5, 2006, 4:21 am

okay people to determine whether or not someone has been raped you would need to examine more of the remains than just the bones. There is no way to tell if someone has been raped after that amount of time has passed and their flesh, etc. has decayed. so lets not call names, especially since most of the name calling is being done by the people who clearly dont understand what an autopsy entails to begin with.

Andrew says:

October 13, 2006, 9:04 pm

She could have been haunting the palce the entire time, they just did not notice it.

October 14, 2006, 1:20 pm

*SMH* People, people, people!!!! Ugh, number one: u cant do an autopsy on bones, this is correct, but the story says,”Apparently, which means it “appears that she was raped” not fact, secondly:if it is a “spanish” governors mansion, im sure there are documents to prove the incident. and last but not least, TAKE A CHILL PILL PEOPLE!!!!!!

bianca says:

October 20, 2006, 10:43 am

hey im somebody whos really cute and didnt really read the story o well lol luv ya bi

michellle says:

October 20, 2006, 1:28 pm

that is really wierd man!

Spencer says:

October 20, 2006, 7:53 pm

misty says:

October 23, 2006, 8:15 am

tht story is KEWL m*n .it w*s nice .preety cool

james bond says:

October 23, 2006, 3:08 pm

i’ve lived in sa my whole life and have never heard of this story. what is the name of the story and where in sa?

lucia says:

October 27, 2006, 3:43 pm

where is this located in san antonio cause i leave in san antonio

alyson says:

October 28, 2006, 6:44 pm

what does the houes look like

Lauren says:

October 29, 2006, 8:51 pm

In general, you people are completely dense and I hope that you all die.

just kidding.

But, maybe some of you should learn how to spell. And I found it particularly interesting that there was a note right before you wrote your comment that asked you to “please use correct grammar… etc” (as if that was so much to ask).

Also it’s spelled “autopsy” idiot.

…And “*” does not replace “a”.

You all suck.

multiple people who agree with this above statement 100%:
(But just to name a couple) Lauren and Rachel

Dick harolds gonzales jr says:

October 30, 2006, 11:52 pm

I was on vacation back in 2004 and i happen to stay there for two nights. The first night nothing happend but i did hear noises and got a lil chilly in the room. Now heres the scary part the second night around 3:00am i walked towards the exit on my room becouse thats where i heard a womons voice before i could get to the exit the noise shiffted behind me so i looked but saw nothing by the time i turned around i saw a womanly figure glide at me and with all its force kicked me in the nuts i passed out and woke up in the hospital. ever since i’ve been seeing a phsycologist but for the first 8 months i wore a football cup. i was tramitized. DON’T GO THERE she is pissed at every male who walks in.

liz says:

November 3, 2006, 7:39 pm

I lived in San Antonio for several years and have been to the Governor’s Palace many times. I have never ever seen, felt, or heard a single thing out of the ordinary. Sorry.

Sandy Kaye says:

November 4, 2006, 10:35 pm

1)JR is not the only one who does haunted tours in San Antonio.
2)The Spanish Governor’s Mansion is downtown not far from the River Walk and the Aztec Theatre.
3)This is not a hotel. It is a museum. You can’t stay there overnight.
4)I participated in a haunted tour of the mansion (not with JR) led by the curator and there were a lot of horrific stories from this place. A little girl was found dead in the well, many people were hung from a particular tree in the back courtyard, and a woman did die there. I don’t remember any stories about rape or seeing a portrait of Mary (although it could have been there). I believe the mansion is older than the Battle of the Alamo.
While we were there, things unexplicably moved.
If you go there, talk with the currator about his haunted stories. He’s and the visitors have had quite a few.

Janice says:

November 5, 2006, 11:07 am

wow that’s bad and I would’ve been scared as hell if I were that chick

Janice says:

December 30, 2006, 11:39 am

wow where’s that at? that must be scary.

charlie frazier says:

January 10, 2007, 9:53 am

this is so dam stupid. yoy are dumb fuckers

anonymos says:

January 15, 2007, 9:39 pm

then whats not dumb to you charlie frazier?

Bettye says:

February 12, 2007, 10:17 am

There were stories about the haunting before the bones were discovered. It is just that the discovery of the skeleton of a female lent veracity to the stories.

Amd says:

March 14, 2007, 6:50 pm

Oh my god! That is really freaky! I’m scared to go to bed now…MOMMY!

Kylie says:

March 15, 2007, 6:10 pm

Where is this located exactly?

DD7 says:

June 20, 2007, 10:56 pm

That is the most stupid story I have ever heard. I have never heard of that happening in the Spanish Governor’s Palace. Logically speaking, though, how could an autopsy on a pile of bones make such a determination? None of the story adds up, I live in Texas and have my whole life, I have heard most of the stories around, and this is certainly not one of them. I think it’s just probably just another vile rumor set about to further attempt to make Texas history more dark. I did hear and have read on the original Spanish lieutenant governor being executed not far from there, along with his Spanish noblemen.

anissa says:

June 28, 2007, 3:43 pm

Where is this place?

Amber says:

July 13, 2007, 7:54 pm

this comment is to (Michelle)um..sweety i live in texas..damnd near san antonio and i have visited this place many many MANY times my question is have u even been ther? Obviously not because this story is dead true..go see for yourself and let the ghost scare the **** out of you

Kristian says:

July 14, 2007, 9:18 pm

Well this so called story is not realy scary and how do people that discoverd her new that she was raped!!!

diane says:

August 30, 2007, 11:17 pm

loco says:

September 6, 2007, 2:10 pm

Whoever sent this in obviously doesn’t know how to tell a story. If the bones revealed the woman was “raped” it brings to light a whole new meaning of “Jumping Bones.”

Samantha says:

October 4, 2007, 7:19 pm

this isn’t stupid.
Some ghosts don’t know they’re dead until someone moves thier bones, or messes with something they were familiar with such as renovating a house, moving a bed they used to sleep in, moving a doll they used to carry around or something of the sort. Ghosts aren’t always just linked with a site. They can be connected to a certain object also. Such as one one of the above mentioned… a bed, a doll, even clothing. ghosts don’t need much to stick around. because they don’t know they’re dead. Which makes perfect sense as to why she didn’t haunt the place until her bones were found. Which is like she was waiting there for someone to find her. Now that she’s found, she haunts the place.

loco says:

October 5, 2007, 10:04 am

How, even with forensics, can they even say the person was raped with nothing but the bones? Child bearing, male or female- yes you can tell- but NOT if one was raped. How would you know? What’s the proof? As far as the ghost aspect is concerned, ok, I can live with that possibility-not the rape aspect of this story- it simply isn’t feasible with the findings of the remains unless it has been scientifically proven.

Elizabeth says:

October 5, 2007, 4:32 pm

Well this story can be true they could have found her skeleton, but from that they can not say she was raped that is impossible because their is no tissue or anything like that to be able to confirm it. But to uncover her remains can cause her spirit to be unresting because they disturbed her resting spot.

MEJIA says:

October 11, 2007, 6:44 pm

Well that’s great to know, but I have never heard of this story either.Where is this place located? Like give an address and I’ll go see if this is true. It might not be true in some aspects of the story, but I would like to find out if possible so if someone knows an exact location please inform me.

stephanie says:

October 12, 2007, 6:53 pm

yes this is a true story, but this isnt the whole story

its located in san antonio, texas…..right off the river walk….

go to the riverwalk area….& ask anyone for the spanish governors house, & they’ll tell u, 2 see for yourself

Corey says:

October 24, 2007, 2:56 pm

Spanish Myself says:

October 28, 2007, 8:12 am

Oh great man… yeah blame the Spaniards for rape and murder. Way to go man, way to go. If it sounds like BS, it probably is.

Luis says:

October 29, 2007, 2:03 am

To find the govenors mansion…. its really easy. For those who know where La Villita is…. yeah, its there. but for those who don’t… if your on the riverwalk… when you pass the one area that looks like it would be used as a stage with the opposite side being where the audience would sit (of course with the river in the middle)you exit through the little entrance on the audience side and go straight, and if you look around, i’m sure you’ll find a huge building that would look like it would be the govenors mansion. its really not hard to find, unless you dont know what you’re doing…. if you get lost, just ask where La Villita is, and i’m sure you’ll be able to find it from there

Tawnie says:

October 31, 2007, 4:26 pm

How Can you tell if the women was raped if they found a skeleton ???? I have heard of Haunted Hotels in San Antino but not this. I don’t believe this story one bit. ITS FAKE!!!!

Fred says:

November 3, 2007, 12:58 pm

I used to live in San Antonio and the scariest thing I have seen is the spelling and grammer on this blog.

John says:

November 7, 2007, 3:53 pm

It is downtown on Commerce, near the corner of Commerce and Flores streets, across from City Hall.

â?¥angelâ?¥ says:

November 19, 2007, 10:54 pm

Is that real about the soilder’s rapeing her? if it is ture that so freaken stupid of them. If i was her i’ll beat the heck out of them.

Aislin says:

March 12, 2008, 12:20 am

If it’s San Antonio, I can believe it. There’s places in that city I can’t go to. Spirits are very much ill at ease. Considering the history of the grounds, it’s not surprising.

TRACI says:

March 18, 2008, 4:42 pm

TRACI says:

March 18, 2008, 4:45 pm

Gambit says:

March 31, 2008, 10:19 am

Please use correct GRAMMAR, CAPITALIZATION, and PUNCTUATION. Let’s try to keep this place looking classy. Real Haunts reserves the right to remove any comment that does not adhere to this requirement or is otherwise inappropriate.

Looks like every post on here should be deleted. I think if you are going to own a computer you should atleast have a High School Diploma and not a G.E.D. equivalent.

Chris says:

May 23, 2008, 5:46 pm

Wierd, what a lie?

doug says:

June 22, 2008, 9:33 pm

Legend goes like this – A very young girl fell down the well and was never found. Several years later the woman(servant) was attacked and killed by Spanish soldiers who threw HER in the well. When she was foundin the well, the little girl’s bones were also found. The little girl’s bones were buried in the wall in the chapel. Both are said to haunt the mansion. Behind the mansion is one of two old hanging trees still in San Antonio

jack says:

October 17, 2008, 2:42 pm

i dnt think anything is true!! Bunch Of liers get a life

Will Smith says:

October 17, 2008, 3:03 pm

WTF!!!! None of you guys can spell

Lissey says:

October 18, 2008, 7:49 pm

Question: How did they know she was raped?

B says:

January 18, 2009, 5:00 am

I have to suggest that all of you take or course or two in spelling and grammar.

Samantha says:

April 6, 2009, 7:22 pm

how do you know she hasn’t been haunting it? maybe things went on but there was never any evidence of what it could be.

rebeka says:

June 11, 2009, 2:01 pm

**** all yall dont hate on san anto tx putoz

SPG says:

July 11, 2009, 4:05 pm

I wanted to set the record straight, I work at the SPG and KNOW the FACTS of the stroy and plus I am tired of hearing the same questions over and over. There was no one buried in the walls, and the body was of a small infant, no more than 6 months old. I have seen the excavation records from back in the 1960/70’s. The ONLY reason people believe that someone is buried in the wall, is from the 1930’s when they restored the old building, the architect added a window so that museum visitors could see the construction of one of the first adobe homes here in San Antonio. Please find out the facts before you start spreading more stories. Thanks.

SPG says:

July 11, 2009, 4:16 pm

The body of an infant was found in the courtyard next to the SPG, and no there were no hanging trees!! PLease stop spreading that rumor, its awful and untrue (JR). And no, pinatas were not invented here either. I have seen documented photographs from the restoration where there are no trees in the back courtyard, think if you water a tree everyday for 80 years, how big do you think that tree would be? The trees around city hall were planted a little over a 100 yrs ago. If you come and visit, one of the museum staff will kindly explain and show you documented proof.

maL says:

September 22, 2009, 1:56 pm

your mamma says:

October 25, 2009, 8:25 pm

I didnt realize this was going to be a spelling b. I think first place goes to Gambit.

SueB85 says:

October 31, 2009, 10:56 pm

Here is a website about it. The Governor’s Palace is located right behind San Fernando Cathedral in the heart of downtown San Antonio.

San Antonio Ghost Blog says:

December 23, 2009, 3:34 pm

I have heard of the Goveners Palace which is by the Alamo but I have never heard of the Governors Mansion. Interesting story. I have heard similiar stories when an old building is remodeled it can provoke the dead that once lived there.

It says:

January 5, 2010, 7:20 pm

Okay, guys look. The reason they knew she was raped was because they get anthropologists, hope i spelled it right.. and they examine the pelvis and check for scraped and such. And maybe they DIDN’T notice there were being haunted before. Maybe they thought it was just nothing, and then when the body was exhumed, they were more alert. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t there. -It:)

Reba says:

May 11, 2010, 9:46 am

man…this is scary as hell….i mean…im scared because its scary….-_-…..scary FTW!!!….im crying cuz this is so scary….waaahhhh….wahhh….ow i bit my tongue….–>—–….this is my sword…r u jealous?….yes i know it is awesome…i would be jealous 2…:P i win!!!

Robin says:

May 12, 2010, 2:14 pm

this mansion is located in downtown San Antonio- if you ever go look around for signs (there everywhere) that point you to major landmarks- they should tell you. I’ve lived here all my life and found the mansion to be rather less impresive than its title, but then again this kind of home would have been pretty extravagant for the time period. also there is a tree in the courtyard called ‘the tree of sarrows’ where many souldures were hung- the tree itself over time has changed. all over it the tree trunk has shapes of faces with bulging eyes, as if the imprint of the dead were coming through. its frightening. If your coming to San Antonio i suggest visiting this place as well as the Menger Hotel- located next to the Alamo (which is also haunted by the way). go ahead look up stories about the Menger! its absolutly creepy, but very beautiful. you can even walk around its halls and i swear you’re going to feel like your being followed or watched. I sugest going with a friend- I didnt and really wish i had. Scary!

cassie says:

July 1, 2010, 8:39 pm

i got to pee

marflower says:

July 2, 2010, 12:06 pm

the truth about the woman in question was long ago collaborated by a dying man, (soldier during the event), who had participated in the brutal rape and murder, wishing to clear his conscience.

Alan "Wild Card" H says:

July 19, 2010, 9:24 am

Can i tell you a secret?……..I see dead women1 But seriously what signs do they have that this place is haunted as I and my team are considering this place to investigate? Signs include cold spots, warm spots, a feeling you didn’t have upon entrance.

taylor says:

July 24, 2010, 8:08 pm

this is a scam people, some of theses MIGHT be true, but this 1 does not have enough proof.

bryan says:

August 10, 2010, 2:15 pm

its located right across the street from city hall. i used to wk at city hall. its a single story white bldg located on commerce st right at camaron st. i recommend a tour cuz its really something.

Samantha says:

September 12, 2010, 4:23 pm

I have been to this mansion and have discovered that the hunting is true. No lie, i went to the mansion cause i was hired to rake leaves and every time i made a pile the leaves would scatter and there was NO WIND. Also, i have seen strange shadows lurking near the windows. It was really creepy

mat says:

October 29, 2010, 11:18 pm

Sorry, but anthropologists (or anyone else) cannot determine rape when all they have are skeletal remains. If there were scrape marks on the pelvic bones she must have been raped by a saber saw. I would hang around and terrorize everyone for eternity if that happened to me.

rose says:

November 21, 2010, 10:28 pm

this isn’t a lie this has been happening a lot lately so TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

edward aguilar says:

March 28, 2011, 4:22 pm

i was like what!!! i lived in san anto and a bunch of ghosts still represent . i love tacos big time . riverwalk is the queso….man i love ghosts ….i was like what!!!

jordan says:

June 15, 2011, 5:56 pm

i live in sa now. the story is real but i dont belive that she started haunting after the bones were revealed maybe she had no reson to haunt anything or anyone untill her bones were revealed then she had perfect reson to start, maybe she wished to be buried on the property and when they moved he bones off the property to a cemetery she was angry. thats my theory. if you want to talk about it email me at

Jim bob says:

June 22, 2011, 2:16 am

This has been going on for more than 5 years. Wow.

Phillip says:

August 28, 2011, 10:08 pm

The govenors palace is in main plaza in downtown san antonio. As far the haunting. So long as the last rites were performed then no she wouldnt haunt until the burial location was disturbed

Blah blah says:

November 5, 2011, 8:16 pm

where is this located at?

Lillie says:

March 29, 2012, 6:33 pm

I’ve been going to San Antonio for years now. Always go to the govenors palace/mansion. My ears start buzzing when I’m inside. But when I go into the courtyard I’m fine. It’s a very interesting building!! Don’t miss it if you visit S.A.

Experienced says:

June 23, 2012, 7:13 am

We only know it’s haunted since we started the excavation and remodeling. We know she was raped by what we found around the remains and how they were left. Come downtown and experience for yourself

Experienced says:

June 23, 2012, 7:26 am

Here it is people, LEARN.

Steven says:

October 20, 2014, 3:14 pm

I just want every one to consider we know very little about the spiritual world and what most people know they get from the media, which inst always thruthful. So for any of you to call this fake without trying to go through the experience shows how ignorant you are of the world around you. You should all be ashamed.