USS Lexington

Corpus Christi, Texas

The retired US Naval vessel USS Lexington is most famous for the ghost of the engine room operator who was killed in battle. He has never harmed anyone and only makes his presence known when tourists enter the engine room; he gives guided tours of the room. Sometimes he becomes impatient, however, and slams doors and turns off lights.

Deidre says:

September 16, 2005, 8:12 pm

You know…. I wouldn’t have believed this story if I hadn’t have gone on a trip and stayed on the actual ship. I remember passing by the engine room on a tour with my peers and I really felt a cold chill when I passed then I thought I saw something moving around in the darkness from the engine room but I pushed it past because I still had a few days left to stay on the ship… Trust in this one…. it’s true….

koehler says:

October 14, 2005, 6:56 pm

i know its true cause on a boy scout trip we stayed the night in the ship and as we were in the engine room the fire drill started and we all ran to the deck which took 10 minutes on my way out of the engine room though my friend and i took a short cut and as we ran i saw a dark figure at the bottom of the engine room and he was looking perplexed at the engine as though trying to fix something

Ann says:

January 10, 2006, 9:27 pm

I Have been on this ship and everytime I visit it I get this erie feeling and I never knew why until I read this so yes I believe this is true.

CJ says:

February 5, 2006, 1:21 pm

WELL IVE BEEN ON THE GHOST SHIP A FEW TIMES BUT IVE NEVER SEEN THE GHOST.NOW I DO BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A GHOST ON THE SHIP BECAUSE I HERE RUMORS ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME.SO I MAY GO CHECK THE SHIP OUT AGAIN SOMEDAY A NIGHT.BUT ABOVE ALL I DO BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A GHOST ON THE SHIP.

Yara says:

February 11, 2006, 5:06 pm

I’ve been there, and being the curious person that I am, I liked too look at ever nook and crany just for amusement. No ghost has been seen by me though.

Prissy says:

February 15, 2006, 2:45 am

My brother and my Nephew and Niece went to that Ship
snd Just to look at it only made pictures of it
but I haven’nt seen inside of it, I heard that it is
really cool.

Me says:

February 16, 2006, 8:20 pm

I know ghost are real. I have one that lives in my house. It moves things right in front of you.

someone says:

February 25, 2006, 1:06 pm

ok, i have been on the USS Lexington and the ghost stories are spooky but my cousin and his dad have been there too. while my cousin’s dad was having a ciggerate on the deck he saw men repell off and slam objects against the haul. that is the sounds that they make during the story…but i do believe there is a ghost and i stayed there overnight so i believe that there is.

melinda says:

March 11, 2006, 6:10 pm

well me and my friends have been in a lot of stuff like that. this one time we were at my friends house with a few friends and at night we were all alone and we threw a bouncy ball down in her basement and no one has ever been in her basement befor and we throught the ball down the stairs and it stopde bouncing and then we herd some one through it back behind the stairs and we slamed the door and we opend it back up and we saw a ded body moving so we acsidently left the door open and ran and listend for the ball to bounce and it did but then it stoped and we herd this little girl sing ” iv got your ball come down here and get it from us in the black room!” so we ran out of the house and from this day forward the ball still bounces and stops!

josh says:

March 12, 2006, 3:16 pm

my bro has been on that ship before he said when himand his freinds were on it they went to the bathroom and when they were in there all he lights just turned off when they looked out of the stalls no one was in there…..i have been on there twice but i have never seen anything.

Laura says:

March 13, 2006, 12:11 am

I really do believe these stories because my mom and other family members have witnessed actual apperances. This is really my kind of website. I love any stories having to do with ghost or any supernatrual things. Maybe I’ll travel one day and try to visit some of these places

Jose says:

March 19, 2006, 3:33 am

i remember my freshman year like 20 to 30 NJROTC cadets including myself staying aboard the ship was cool our instructor told us don’t go touring after taps or lights out and myself and my bestfriend vincent we were running from deck to deck and we found ourself face to face with a dead sailor in the engine room and also in sick bay was a scary experience as we headed back to the berthing area to our racks

shiane says:

May 18, 2006, 10:58 am

Ok once again i have too been to the U.S.S. Lexington and have not encountered any ghost. It is very spooky i do agree but i didnt see or hear anything so thats just my story i guess i really dont believe it is that haunted.

noah says:

June 6, 2006, 5:43 pm

hi lando

noah says:

June 6, 2006, 5:44 pm

was up noah

lando says:

June 6, 2006, 5:45 pm

stop talkin to yourself stupid

lil kim says:

June 8, 2006, 4:54 pm

i do believe

kelsey says:

June 10, 2006, 10:03 pm

Well I live in corpus but I never knew there was a ghost in the lexington. I guess I’ll have to go see it agian and hope to find a ghost!

Sheri says:

June 22, 2006, 2:26 am

Me, my husband, and daughter toured the Lady Lex one summer. We heard all the ghost stories, so we were on the lookout. Never saw a thing, but I will admit the engine room is creepy and has a strange feel to it. If you are ever in Corpus Christi, I highly recommend stopping and seeing this ship for yourself. Exteremely interesting.

zedan says:

October 1, 2006, 2:31 pm

hi

zedan says:

October 1, 2006, 2:33 pm

im plzz to meet u

zedan says:

October 1, 2006, 2:34 pm

i hope god will help me to find my way

Carmen says:

October 5, 2006, 4:12 pm

I think this would be cool to go visit.. Thanks for the information.. :)

Bryan says:

October 13, 2006, 8:34 pm

I’ve stayed on the Lexington two or three times, through boyscouts. Each time we were taken on a tour of a different area and each time, I had seen a ghost. One time it was in the engine room, and he was walking around checking things, another was in sick bay, all I and friends saw was a ghostly figure in the window, and the last was in the bathrooms (by far the weirdest experince.) His name was Charlie – blonde haired, blue-eyed – and he was shaving when a group of us went to the bathroom (we had heard noises in the halls and all needed to use bathroom so we went as group); he stopped and talked to us, asking how we were and wished us all a goodnight, then left through the other side and disappeared. Was a very interesting experience.

yvette....duhhhh says:

November 2, 2006, 5:16 pm

ok ok this is so NOT true how could u know its that person like duhhhh but ohhh well if the person who created this page is that bored than ok go 4 it but i so dont belive this goshhhh……thats bout it ok ok ok buh byes ok yes i know i dumb but o0hhhhh well pshhhhn who cares!!!!!l8terz foooo

Jenn says:

November 14, 2006, 11:20 am

i’ve been to the “ghost ship”, and its all true. my husband and i were there on a field trip with our daughters 2nd grade class, and as we were walking past one of the officers quarters, someone opened the curtain as we walked by. when my husband and i looked, and then looked at each other , the curtain closed and then you heard a shuffle and then something knock over. when we told the guide someone was in there she said there is no-one there because it was locked and no-one could get in there. she had someone check to make sure. the door was locked and no-one was inside the room, and nothing was disturbed. my husband and i made a b-line out of there and headed back where the kids were.

katherine says:

December 13, 2006, 1:19 am

I have stayed over night on the ship as well and i totally agree with everyone that says it’s haunted. it is…

tellinya says:

January 7, 2007, 6:34 pm

I don’t know much about the lexington, but i know that the ship was scuddled by US cruisers because it had taken on too much damage during the Pacific Therter(World War 2)

gbunny says:

January 31, 2007, 4:35 am

FYI- The Corpus Christi Caller Times offers a live web cam of the Lexington on their web page for those of you who are wanting to see the ghost.
Go to Caller.com

ZoeAnn says:

February 4, 2007, 11:39 pm

I was raised in Corpus Christi, and have gone to the Lexington several times, not once did I see a ghost. However, I went there with my boyfriend, we were down by the engine room, just before closing, and I felt an eerie feeling. I felt like I was being watched. It did get cold as well, but we never saw anything and that was way before the ghost story came up about the piercing blue-eyed sailor. I believe he’s there, but I also believe a lot of people embellish a bit to make this ghost story even more interesting.
I’m wanting the Ghost Hunters from SciFi channel to investigate it, I think that would be awesome.

Mike says:

February 10, 2007, 12:23 pm

Dear folks, For starters, I SERVED on board the LADY for 3 years, and during my tour several “interesting” things did happen, wittnessed by myself and other members of the crew. Granted, a large number of these sightings, sounds, movement ect did come from the engine room and boiler rooms, other things have happened as well in the hanger bay and sick bay. In fact, when she put in to Corpus to be converted to the museum, I was down there for a weekend getaway and got permision to come on board one last time, and upon entering the hanger deck, I could SWEAR I HEARD someone say “welcome back”.

gloria says:

February 16, 2007, 4:44 pm

he touched me

Tiffany says:

March 14, 2007, 9:46 pm

You know i went on with my mom and my childhood friend. And i diddnt see him how disapointting, but i do believe R.I.P

Julie says:

March 17, 2007, 3:14 am

My husband, son and I just returned from a Boy Scout trip to the Lexington for a 2-night Live Aboard. I must say I went with a lot of excitement, an open mind and knew about the stories beforehand, but never honestly thought I would see or hear anything. The engine room is definitely a “busy” place and I had feelings of being watched. There were definite cold spots throughout the ship (i.e. Sick Bay and the entire area nearby), which made the hair on my arms stand on end. My husband told me of being in the Sick Bay area and feeling as if he were “supposed” to be going a specific direction through that tour route. He joked that his kindred Navy brothers were trying to show him the best tours of all. He also commented on the “being watched” feeling that he had most in the area from Sick Bay and all around the Dental Clinic and operating/exam rooms.
My experience took place in the ladies’ berthing shortly after we arrived. Our group of ladies took racks in the area numbered 45, 46, etc. I was standing in front of my rack arranging my things and off to my right I caught a movement out the corner of my eye. There is a hatch that leads down a hallway through to the men’s berthing space. I stood there for a moment trying to see if it was someone coming through the hatch from the men’s into the ladies’ berthing by accident. There was a fairly distinct shadow in the doorway. I went back to arranging my sleeping bag and putting a few things in my locker. I looked again in a few seconds and the shadow was gone. I was alone when this happened. Throughout our entire stay that area just seemed to hold a presence, but nothing ever materialized. It was not a scary feeling–just odd and very interesting to me. One of the ladies in our group mentioned to me that she continually felt the need to look around and over her shoulder when in that particular part of the berthing space, as if someone were approaching or watching her. I then mentioned my feeling as well. We both agreed it was very, very interesting that we shared the same sort of feeling without having prior knowledge of our individual experiences.
I believe, as does my husband that there is energy left behind when a physical life ends. Also, we both agree there are definite places aboard that would bear more investigation or at the least more time spent with introspection. The spirits of the Lexington have a story to tell and we owe it to them to listen.
We can’t wait to go back again. Our son wants to go back as soon as possible. He finds the paranormal interesting as well and was somewhat disappointed that he didn’t get to meet “Charlie” or any of the other spirits that still linger aboard the USS Lexington, but did say he heard noises that were odd.
Besides all the above–I must say the USS Lexington remains a sight to behold and anyone who is interested should visit if for nothing more than the historical value and educational merits this grand Lady has to offer. In my humble opinion, her days of service are far from over.

Alice says:

March 28, 2007, 11:59 am

dude omg i have like no idea what you people are talking about but it sounds so frickin kool where is this @ is it the like big ship near the brige? [ im new here in CC so yeah but this sound frickin kool i plan to go soon cuz this place sounds frickin awsome!!!

Meagan p says:

June 13, 2007, 11:03 am

Well the best story there is about the Lexington is whenever a family of four showed up to the ship for the first time, and right after having bought the tickets they walked threw and saw man dressed in uniform and he asked if they wanted a tour. As eager as they were of course they said yes and so they followed this guy around the ship all day and just had a great time. At the end of the day they said thanked him and everything and decided to tell one of the managers that their host was so wonderful. Well explaining everything to the manager he was like we don’t have anyone by that name or description working here at the Lexington. The family was really confused and was like are you sure? The guy said we have no one like that working here. So they ended up realizing it was the USS Lexington ghost who had been touring the ship with them!

corri says:

June 17, 2007, 1:14 am

well i live in kingsville 30 mins away from corpus… so for our school trips we’d go to the lexington every year… i am now a senior and i know the ship is creepy and gives you odd feelings however the actions that occur like things moving or noises is part of the tour the guides do it… but idk it does seem pretty interesting even more with the help of the guides

kayla Milligan says:

June 27, 2007, 10:22 pm

When i was in thrid grade my class went on a feild trip to the USS Lexington. This was no big deal seeing as how we only lived in Kingsville a short drive away. While at the ship i remember experiencing several weird feelings, however, I did not have the pleasure of seeing anything strange. A classmate did trip over one of the door bottoms though, very easy to do if you don’t lift your feet up very high. This was nine years ago though so maybe things have changed. I would love to go back and see the lexington again.

Victoria S. says:

June 28, 2007, 11:11 pm

I went today with my family, and honestly never thought about the possibility of the ship being haunted. I was so thrilled about seeing a piece of history.

For those who haven’t been there, let me say that you can tour several different routes, and they essentially spit you back out into a large, common area near the entrance/exit.

During one of those tours, my husband and I wanted to see the officers’ quarters, so we passed the theater and headed into that maze. The boys had headed in the opposite direction, straight for the Mess Hall. Deep into the ship, I saw a sign on a door that said “WOMEN” that had obviously been taped up. Thinking it was a bathroom, I tried the door. Immediately, a light came on in the hallway and illuminated a wax figure of a seaman mopping the floor. I was startled, then laughed. It was obviously designed to be motion detected.

We made our way further along, quietly enjoying the displays, when suddenly, I heard a voice speaking a few feet up, just where we were heading. I assumed that it was another one of those motion detection devices that begin telling you about the place when you come near, but we weren’t near enough, so perhaps someone was just ahead of us.

When we got to that section, no one was there, and there was no motion activated tour audio. Was it a haunting? Was it my imagination? Was it a VERY fast tourist who lingered there, then sprinted far ahead? Dunno. Just thought I’d report my experience. :)

Ace Geezy says:

June 29, 2007, 7:20 pm

Hello everyone.

About 7 years ago I was on vacation in Corpus Christi. Me and my wife and young daughter were led on a tour by a man in a jumpsuit. He later remarked that this is where the barber shop was at the time and other things. I remarked later to another person who was some kind of manager that the tour guide was very helpful. He smiled and said he did not have a tour guide in that area. He remarked that there had been sightings. My wife got very upset at this while I laughed it off and said it was just part of the “lore” of the ship and was fake. The manager just gave a shrug of his shoulders and walked away. Later on in the souvenir shop something did happen that I could not explain. A sailorâ??s hat flew off the wall about 5 feet in front. It was not until years later that I had heard about the Lexington Ghost sightings. I am not sure what the TAPS Ghosthunters from Scifi will find but I canâ??t wait until that show.

Yes, this story is 100% true. Yes it did happen and yes the USS Lexington is 100% haunted whether TAPS finds anything or not.

Kayla says:

June 30, 2007, 1:32 am

My Girl Scout Troop had stayed a night at the USS Lexington a couple years ago. Once the ship started to close the night we were staying I had a creepy feeling for the rest of the time we were there. The only time it was uncomfortable though was while we were sleeping.

While our Tour person was giving us a night tour/ ghost stories walk. The creepiest room for me was the sick bay. It could have been the fact that there had been a high school group there at the time and they were being crazy, but that area gave me the chills.

One of the experiences i’ve had was while we were sleeping in our bunks I kept feeling something around my feet like someone tugging on my blankets. In the morning my friends said I kept screaming for something to get off me and go away.

I’m not sure if it’s really connected but be were told there was a boy that would run up and down the rows of bunks in our room. I dont think they ever mentioned anything about it pulling sheets.. or even interacting with people.. but our our made me just feel uncomfortable while we were there. It could have also been a bad dream, but the tugging felt real to me.

Over all I loved it there and I’d like to go back and stay the night again. I’m very interested in the paranormal and I can’t wait to see the Ghost Hunter’s episode of the USS Lexington.

Michelle Roan says:

July 1, 2007, 2:35 am

My husband, daughter and I are going to Corpus next month (then off to Sea World…yeah!!!) Anyway, my husband and I went to Corpus a while back before our daughter was born and I was bored out of my mind on the Lexington. My husband had a ball though. A few weeks ago I told him that Tori (our daughter) and I would stay on the beach if he wanted to go check out the Lexington again. That is until I saw that TAPS went there! I had NO idea it was haunted…so now I’m totally GUNG HO to go to the Lexington! Can’t wait! I’ll let you guys know we see/feel anything! Wish me luck! :O

Ambish says:

July 30, 2007, 5:50 pm

Ghost Hunters investigated this place and found some pretty wierd stuff. If you want to know what else they investigated or what they found, go to Scifi.com and clck on ghost hunters.

Jodie says:

August 14, 2007, 2:37 pm

I spent two nights on the USS Lexington with my grade this past year and we had to do a scavenger hunt throughout this 5 levels that have historical stuff about the ship on them. the whole time i was there i would get chills and feel the presence of something and get really creeped out. i didnt see a ghost. but i do believe there is ghost on it.

Jade Lonewolf aka Karma says:

September 12, 2007, 12:05 am

I went on that ship when I was five with my grandfather. That ship is haunted. I remember clutching on to him and saying “Pa, can we go back outside? Its creepy in here!” I remember seeing the grates we walked on all over the ship, and I remember the red lights all over the place. I remember my grandfather being 5 feet in front of me and feeling a hand on my shoulder as we passed the engine room. When we went by the Captain’s Quarters, something scratched my neck, and my mother got really worried when we came out. My grandfather swore that nothing had touched me. And according to my grandfather, the Petty Officer I described never exsisted. He even called in a favor to have the name looked up I saw on the uniform. No luck. I remember it like the dinner I just ate, so I know I wasn’t dreaming.

Maria says:

October 14, 2007, 8:05 pm

When I was in 5th grade I was in Foster carein Corpus Christi and there was a sort of Christmas party for the foster care kids. We had a tour of the ship and in the sick bay I swear I saw a pale blue shimmer (a light perhaps?) laying on a bed in there, it turned to look in my direction. I clung to my foster mum for the duration of the tour and my time on the ship for the Christmas thing.

I also had the oddest sensation of being wacthed while touring the engine room and around the barber shop. Maybe one day I will go back again.

Michele says:

October 18, 2007, 11:54 am

I’ve been there when they were doing the boyscout tour, they had some of the boyscouts sit on these round things and the floor below there was someone who would turn them slightly to make the boys think a “ghost” moved the chair. I didn’t experience anything weird. I’m more interested in the Old court house.

shawn sunderland says:

October 21, 2007, 8:26 pm

Hello whoever is reading this comment. I’m gonna tell everyone that I just took a tour of the Lady Lex and of course was spooky because of the age of the ship and also how many deaths took place too. I felt most connected with the captains chair, where they operate the ship… just felt weird, but other than that I didnt feel or see a thing, doesnt mean its not haunted, I just have to go back and investigate more, maybe later at night. What a place to be though!! It was great! I’m going back soon.

Maria M. says:

October 26, 2007, 1:39 pm

I live here in Corpus Christi and i must say that the Lexington is CREEPY!!!Back in Elementary they took us on a field trip to the lexington and back then i was like great another boring field trip!!But to my surprise it wasnt it was kinda scary actually.In one part of the ship they do put up an act and make things move but thats just part of the tour because i remember them making noises and making chains move to scare us but when we went on the rest of the tour walking around the ship was the strangest,creepiest feeling i have ever experienced!!you can seriously feel someone just watching you and no there was no one behind me i was the last in line.Its hard to explain the feeling you get on the lexington you just have to go out there for yourself!!Hopefully i can stay the night one night to see the actual ghost that walks the ship!!

ex-nayvewife says:

October 27, 2007, 7:54 pm

My ex husband was stationed on the Lex in the early 80’s. He was on the “graveyard” shift in the observation area and the stool next to him started to spin as if someone was sitting on it. He hightailed it out of the room and didn’t go back for the rest of his shift.

Jerri says:

October 31, 2007, 10:45 pm

I was stationed on the Lex for 4 yrs., early 80’s. I never saw anything strange or heard anything strange. I was ships’ Master-at-arms, and worked 12 hour shifts, 1800-0600, and have been everywhere on her, at all times of the day. Some places do feel kinda wierd, or give off “bad vibes”, I guess, but that’s normal in/on a place so old with lots of history.
I also saw that episode of TAPS when they went to the Lex, and ya know what? I can’t find anything about some female dying on her or about a plane crashing into the island except back during WWII. Now that’s wierd! But I loved the time I spent on her, and plan on visiting her as a museum. She may be haunted, people have died on her, but I never sensed anything and normally I’m pretty good at picking up phsyic energy.
Just remember,your mind can and will play tricks on you! Especially after hearing ghost stories!
Happy Halloween!

deborah says:

November 1, 2007, 7:33 pm

Well i live in corpus christi i am now in the 10th grade, but when i was in the about 5 grade i remember we went on a school trip to the uss lexington.
we got split up into groups and we where with an adult of course. there are places where it says for you not to go on the ship.Well me and my friend
were very curious so we went beyond the dont enter sign. Well we didnt go far till we turned around.
but we heard chains rattiling?? and than a door slammed shut? well. like a girl said earlier yea they do this to freak us out.. but it was in a closed area so why would they do that in a closed area??
when i watched the show tapps they didnt convince me that it was haunted. and i researched the lady being killed on there and nothing popped up about this lady??
am i convinced about this uss lexington being haunted no. i was a little girl than and i dont know what i thought than.. i’m interested in the comments ya’ll posted and i enjoyed reading them..

Valerie Garcia says:

November 5, 2007, 2:36 am

Ive been there so many times & i havent seen s***.
I wish i could really see something so i can
s*** myself.Ive heard the scariest noies there
you would believe me.It left me s***less.

yvonne says:

November 17, 2007, 10:45 pm

Ok peeps this is important to those who believe there are extremely active areas of the ship and if your doing a ghost hunt at night then this is a place you really wanna do. We did a three day stay over with an explorer group we had to watch a bunch of boyscouts we however had a free tour of the place from end to end topto bottoms every nook and cranny just incase we had wayward children meandering aroudn when they should have been sleeping. on our tours we foudn that the lady’s head was active with lights of and on , being brushed against cold drafts from no where and stall doors opening at random with no one present, in the engine room we had disembodied voices and also cold drafts shadow figures and loud banging, in the captains quarters you can hear the soft mumbling of a spirit and see shadows moving to and fro in the room on the steerign room you know where you look out on the ship you can feel somethign walk past you hurriedly and hear footsteps, on the deck of the ship you can hear voices and a giant ghost light at night, in the anchor room you can see shadows moving hear bangin and mumbling down several of the corridors you can see shadows hurring back and forth when no one is around in the gally you can hear pots and pan sclanking and shuffleing when no oen is there. this shipis a must on any investigators list!!

Ashley says:

December 13, 2007, 3:42 pm

it is haunted in the engine room. when i was in 5th grade my class took a trip their and i swear i saw a man walking around the engine room, it was weird.

shilrey says:

December 16, 2007, 2:22 pm

Has anyone been able to find anything on the woman who was killed on the Lexy?? They talked about her on Ghost Hunters, and even showed a picture of her, but can’t find any info on her at all! My brother says I am crazy, and am beginning to wonder why this is being hushed up! The Lexy site says no women served on her until the 1980’s!

Entropy bites says:

January 3, 2008, 5:34 pm

I spent the weekend there once when I was younger as with a group of other kids my age. Didn’t see or hear anything, but before we went to bed we listened to ghost stories in the engine room, a lot of which really gave me the creeps and made it hard to sleep. It has a different sort of atmosphere at night. I wouldn’t mind going back a second time.

Tiffany says:

January 8, 2008, 9:40 am

My son and I spent the night on the Lexington this past weekend with his Boy Scout group. The guy who worked on the ship told us ghost stories about the Lexington. I thought they were fake and I thought he was just trying to scare the boys. He told us about four different stories and he did mention a story about a crew member and the sick bay.

There were about 20 women in the group and we slept in seperate quarters from the boys and men. When it was time for lights out we all of course went to sleep. well one lady was speaking in her sleep, she kept saying that we were all being “watched and monitored”. Another lady had told this lady that we weren’t. The other lady didn’t respond so that’s why we all figured she was sleep talking. The next morning that was all she talked about and she was very convinced that we were all being watched.

I don’t beleive in ghosts or hauntings but it is interesting. I have been to the lexington and never knew this about the ship.

Breda says:

March 7, 2008, 7:43 pm

During my spring break me and my friend went to Corpus with my suite mate, and she said she would take us to the Lexington. We went, and we were walking around the engine room area, past this grate that was covered over the wall where the elevator shaft used to be down to the torpedo room or something like that. But anyway my friend leaned in by the grate and whistled two notes, the first one low and the second one higher, and right when she did that a gust of warm wind came up out of the shaft and we heard two whistled notes from down at the bottom, the first one high and the second one low. It wasn’t an echo because it was the opposite of what my friend whistled. When she did it again, the same thing happened, but then a group of people came around the area (we could hear them through the pipes) and the whistling stopped. We never heard it again, we even went back the next day, but nothing happened.

Breda says:

March 7, 2008, 7:56 pm

Oh and I also forgot, we walked by this photo of this man (I think it was around the berthing area) named Joseph Cox Wassum, and my friend Rachel would get extremely upset every time we passed the photo, and she would feel sick to her stomach several seconds after leaving the room. We walked by it several times and the same thing happened every time. She said she felt overwhelming sadness every time she saw his photo.

Ace says:

March 29, 2008, 7:51 pm

I was born and raised in Corpus Christi, and I’ve also frequented the USS Lexington many a times during fieldtrips growing up, and i’ve also been a part of a program they call “live-abord” which is where you get to spend a few nights on the lexington itself and sleep there, shower, and just go on about your days… anywho… I’ve had diff. experiances everytime… since i was smaller and took fieldtrips there me and my friends would be freaked out cause of the wax figures they have there… sometimes you pass by a figure thats facing you when you walk in and when you walk out the opposite way, it was still facing us… which means it turned… that always happens when i go…

also me and some friends were poking around the lex… when your a live-abord you can go to many places that are off limits to the regular public…

so one time we were goofing and running up and down the decks through the inside stairwells that are off-limits… and that are chained off… lol

well we must have been about 3 decks below the very top one near the captians quarters… and theh big steel doors that are there… well we stop for a second to have our other friends catch up (because we were running to beat them upstairs) and while were by the door… (it was closed mind you) there was this HUGE bang on the other side… that really freaked us out cause we knew that this area was off limits too all others and no-one could have been behind that door…

so we took off running further upstairs… about 2 more decks up… we came across another chained area… me and my friend jake were first to get there… there is and older man that comes out from the side area, and tells us that no one is allowed up there because it’s dangerous so we should turn back.

he walks off back from the side area of where he came from…

me and jake decide to still walk up to the chained off stairwell… until we look to our left to see if that man is still there…

But, we then asked eachother… where did he go?

There was no way for this man to come to us from the area he was at, nor was there a way for him to leave… the only entrance and exit was where we came from…

so we left… that was the last experiance i’ve ever had on the lex, and the last time i’ve been…

kk says:

April 10, 2008, 1:25 pm

there are more than one ghosts on the lexington butthe one mostly seen is the on in the engien room, some walk threw walls were old walls have been blocked some walk down halls and there is a woman that walks around in the cargo hold she died when a fighter plain crashed on the ship and went threw the floor.

peeps says:

April 12, 2008, 2:04 am

i dont realy beleve in ghost or that stuff but maybe there is a ghost in the engine room but if i would have to see it and maybe the one in the hallways and in the cargo hold and on the flight deck and the wierd thing that calls out your name maybe if i saw any of these things i would beleve this ****.

someone says:

April 17, 2008, 10:38 am

i’ve been on this ship long tyme ago i remeber walking pats by the engines it was all cold.. then when the lights shut off on us and my cousin started crying all big baby all older then me !

Tracy says:

April 21, 2008, 12:39 am

I heard this story from a friend in the military.
There is a story around the pilot that died on the Lexington. A young fighter pilot crashed unto the deck. The day before his crash he was to meet with a girl he liked. Something happened to her and she could not meet him. He drove back late wondering what went wrong. He died on the deck of the Lexington the following day. The girl mourned him every day that followed. Years later the girl married. A child was born to the girl on the birthday of the deceased pilot. The baby seemed to react to pictures of certain people he never met and writes the first name of the deceased pilot when asked to write his name. Siliar to the story of “James” a WWII pilot returned. Perhaps, this young man had some unfinished issues to resolve. The story of James brings one to wonder if there is a circle of life. Does a string exist between the last life the interim and birth… Many religions share this belief. Perhaps, this explains odd phobias and PTS in small children.

Chris Pearl says:

April 21, 2008, 9:58 am

I have flown over the Lex, but I have never borded her. However, I have heard of the story of James Huston. A small child claims to be a pilot that crashed sometime during WWII. Aviators seem to have an extra zest for life…lol

His story can be found at this link http://www.reversespins.com/proofofreincarnation.html.

nick says:

April 29, 2008, 10:36 pm

Me and my brother went in that room and he gaves us a guided tour. At the time i did not know who he was, but knowing now that he is a ghost and seeing him with my own two eyes, i belive.

me says:

April 30, 2008, 10:07 pm

My dad was stationed on the Lexington in the 80’s, I grew up in Pensacola. I’m proud of my dad’s military service and decided to look up information about the Lexington, and came across the story of the ghost in the engine room a few years ago. I asked my dad, who was a electrician about it, and he said yeah sure late at night on watch down in the engine room I would see a shadow pacing. Most of the time I brushed it off as one of my buddies playing a joke, until the night I was sitting at a table they had down there and the stool next to me began to slowing spin around.

Jeff says:

May 21, 2008, 5:28 pm

My granddad was the Lady’s electrician from 1943-45. Back in 2000, I had to be about 11, we went to the Lex to leave some of his ashes. I’d heard of the engine room apparition, but we didn’t see anything. The engine room was really hot, except for one part. I think this is the part that is haunted. I really have a fondness for the good Lady, and I must go back, although I’m too old to stay overnight. Oh well. Lastly, since it is so close to Memorial Day, lets remember all men and women who have died for our this country, especially those that served on the Lex. Cheers!

tabitha says:

May 22, 2008, 12:55 pm

yyEa.tHe ShIp Is HaUntEd.iVe bEEn In ThERa AnD i waS in THe EngINE rOoM AnD i WaS StANdIn THeRe aNd All oF A sUDdEn a mAn DrESs In A OlD wAr UNiFoRm WaS jUsT stAnDiN thErE i AsKed WhO r U?aNd hE sed ….DO U WaNt A tOUr?AnD im LIKE wHo R u ? AnD hE sed CaPtiAn HOwARd LEe SteWRt AnD thEn He VAniShED…sO yEa hES ANd THerE ReALLLL………….

Lily says:

June 2, 2008, 2:37 pm

i remeber on the 3rd of july i was staying the night at the beach to see the fireworks the next day. well me n my cousin weere filiming each other being dumb and we had a good shot of the lexington frm where we were at. Wel i was on a table and filming the sky i really dont remeber y. well we saw 5 men.. on there.. in sailor suits . they were throwing a woman over board ar a man with really long hair… we got really scareed and i was recording it. and before we knew it… a blue light was showing and it was hurting our eyez. we ran the heck out of the their and almost cried well we came back with my aunt n mom about 5 min later they said they didnt see n e thing. wel we found the camera smashed into peices. without the tape. i will never forget that.. neither will my cousin hopefully. :(

Mary Turner says:

June 7, 2008, 3:11 am

Well, I can from first hand experince tell you that this story is 1000% true. However there are some facts that we need to get straight. I work on the Lexington. I am here at all hours of the day and night. Charlie is NOT the only ghost onbaord this ship. Keep in mind the 246 brave men and 1 brave lady who gave thier lifes in the preservation of your freedom. I personally know a medium who has spoken with Charlie. Charlie told her that there is a angry ghost onboard. They don’t know why he is angry, and he would not talk to the medium. Charlie gives tours of the Engine Room. He, however, dosen’t slam doors or anything of that nature. There is a rather odd presence almost everywere on board this old girl. Partically in the medical rooms and berthing compartments. These are much creeepier than the Engine Room. The officer state room where the doors and windows close and open themselves, yeah, those are much worse. So if you’re curious come up here and find out for yourselves.

bretny says:

June 9, 2008, 6:23 pm

omg.
ive been on that ship.
i was IN the engine room with my uncle.
he said he felt really cold.
and i was shivering becuz i was freezing.
i remember feeling pressure on my chest and my eyes started 2 water.
i felt a presence in the room.
it was crazy!!!!!
i cuddnt move.
it was like theghost was touching me or holding me or sumthing.
like he was trying 2 tell me sumthing.

Sophie says:

June 18, 2008, 5:57 pm

well I have been to the LEX and in certain rooms like the dental place, the cafet., the chapel, the captians place where he slept, and especially the soldiers bunks, you can feel vibes and it is cold. If you haven’t been to the LEX I just want to tell you that you should go and feel the experience of being watched it creepy!!!

matt says:

July 1, 2008, 1:43 pm

where is lexington retired

Misty says:

July 1, 2008, 10:58 pm

I have been there alot of times….Thats so not true….

Krystal says:

July 10, 2008, 12:23 am

I’ve done the live aboard program on the USS Lexington 3 times and everytime, something… well… paranormal happens! The first time I stayed(Spring of 2003) me and my best friend Sappire were walking to the bathrooms and were lost when a man with georgeous almost white blonde hair and dazziling bright blue eyes came to us and directed us to the bathrooms!when we turned to thank him he was gone! That night my daddy was sleeping in the knot room for the live aboard thing and he could see shadows through the windows. Also when he woke up, the knot he tied on his bag was undone and redone in a professonal looking knot! Sappire didn’t come with me again, but my brother, Louie, and god-brother(next-door-neighbor),Robert, came the other 2 times! The second time(Sprong of 2005) the 3 of us saw a manican and it looked just like the man I saw the year before with Sappire! Robert was looking at a display in the room so I looked at it too. when I turned to look at the manican he wasn’t there! Then we went to get our dads and when we came back, it was there, but in a different pose and its eyes were red! The third time I went(Spring of 2007)my dad, Louie, Robert, Robert’s dad and I were eating at the Perre 99 resturant outside the ship when we saw a florecent glowing manin front of the ship! Then I remembered a story! The story was that a boy went to join the Navy! When he left his father promised him that he would be there to greet him when he comes back home from the war! The boy died on the ship in an engenering accident! Legennd has it that the man is still there to fufill his promise to his son and will greet him home! So the following morning we were talking to the the live aboard diirector, Kenney, when a ladt came and began screeming at him! She said that last night at 5 am a glowing man woke her up and told her that her mother was dead! She screemed at him for playing such a sick joke when her cell phone rang! It was her sister telling her that her mother had died at 5 am that morning! I hope those are enough paranormal experiences to make you believe! If not, go there and see for your self! Don’t worry, the ghosts won’t hurt you, but you will be scared! Have Fun!!!

Ray says:

July 23, 2008, 11:11 pm

I took a picture of an engine in the hangar bay, and there was a white figure standing over it. Turns out his name is Charlie

frank says:

August 20, 2008, 3:12 pm

Dis one is true, i just spent da nite yesterday for Rotc I went down there with 6 ppl and they heard sumthing and 4 ran off leaving me and dis one girl… i sat down for a while cuz idk i was tired it was 3 am in the mourning and then the lights turn red… i thought to myself omg wtf is going on and then i saw the ghost… i know the story how he died.. and it was really bad ;( i thought he was gonna be mean but infact he was real nice he told me his name, it was Charlie and he was wearing a white coat with a cross on the back. when i first saw him he glanced at me and i turned SOOO Pale… i was freaking out… he told me to follow him and i did he gave me the best tour.. although he wanted me to go to some restricted areas… i did and he told me where to step where not to step…
he was his own light himself.. he was amazing ever since then i believed in ghosts and im still afraid of them.. more then ever.. if you ever spend the night at the lexington go meet charlie hes awesome.. but it gets scary by the sick bay..

unknown says:

August 28, 2008, 12:30 pm

well around june me and a group of friends spent the night on the ship and well we were not spooked at all. But sometimes i could recall a friend saying they had a eerie feeling in the engine room which sparks my curiousity maybe that boat is haunted who knows i guess i will have to experience that myself.

paco says:

August 29, 2008, 12:23 pm

this bull is not true do not listen to what these whinny losers have to say just because they can’t get none

B4 LCL says:

September 3, 2008, 5:22 pm

I hav never bin 2 dis ship or heard of the ship, but i would love 2 go 2 it and check it owt. I have sin a ghost and do believe in them.

Mary says:

September 14, 2008, 4:26 pm

The first time I went to the ship, it was with a friend of mine who actually served on the ship. He only told me that there were stories of ghosts … a kamikaze pilot and the sailor in his dress whites. I didn’t experience anything, but he did. He found it hard to breathe below deck and he wanted to leave.
The second time I went, I was with my family, two years later. I heard a male voice behind me say, “you’ve been here before” but when I turned, I didn’t see anyone. Nothing unusual happened until the end of the tour. I went down below to the ladies room. I looked around the ladies locker room , or “berthing area”, for a couple of minutes, before rejoining my family on the main deck. I was alone down there and the air was still. As I approached the door to leave, I was about 3 steps from it. I lunged for the door, as it was starting to slowly close on its own.
I didn’t know until my next visit the following year, that there was a female entity on board. I heard she was the first female to serve on the Lexington, and she died in an accident, involving a plane, on the landing. I never saw her, or heard her, but I wondered if she was the reason for the door closing just as I went to exit.

jtl says:

September 24, 2008, 4:14 pm

Well, we took a trip to the Lexington I didnt get an eerie feeling on the engine room. Later during the tour i needed to use the ladies room, well i had to go through the nurses quarters and there’s where I started getting real cold and scared. I then heard lots of laughter and talking only to find out I was the only one there.

Bethany says:

October 1, 2008, 10:48 pm

I have been on the ship for a family vacation, and have found many pictures of my findings. I have them posted on yourghoststories.com look up u.s.s. lexington ghost pictures and you will find my story and pictures, tell me what you think, and it seems there is more than one ghost on the ship.. Clearly a mailman is seen in one picture!

alex says:

October 3, 2008, 9:47 pm

I have been to the U.S.S. lexington 2 times. The first i never saw anything. I was there 3 weeks ago and me and 4 of my friends saw 5 ghosts!!! I saw a hand in a blue glove and a man walking in all cacky. 1 of my friends saw a preacher(in the church) and he saw charlie(the most famous ghost) another also saw the hand i saw and she saw a man walk across the hall the last a girl in our group(at the back)and she got pushed she turned around and there was no 1 there!!! I would recommend getting a group of 30 or so and visiting the U.S.S. lexington and staying the night. The trip was amazing!!!

Renee says:

October 26, 2008, 3:11 pm

I used to work on the LEX, and from my own experiences I can definately confirm everyone’s suspicion if the ship is haunted or not. I worked down in the kitchen, a level below the hanger deck. The feeding room for the boy scout’s down their used to be the morgue. My co-worker’s and I always heard people like running around in there and when would go to check, no one was there. Also things in the kitchen itself got pretty weird too. On many occasoin when a rush was going on, I would feel someone bump into the back of me like they were trying to pass by me, but no one was there!! it totally freaked me out and I never stayed down there by myself.

Matt says:

December 22, 2008, 5:54 am

Through Boy Scouts, I had the privilege to spend the night on the “Blue Ghost” several times. Each time, I never directly “experienced” anything overtly paranormal, but I always had this strange and eerie feeling that something was there, that I was being watched, especially in certain areas of the ship (engine room, sick bay, dining room, some of the sleeping quarters). However, the last time I stayed the night on board, me and a friend of mine did experience something VERY WEIRD. Because the ship was understaffed that night, they asked some of the people on board to volunteer for “fire watch”. Fire watch consisted of staying awake all night, watching movies and drinking free cokes in this lounge area, and walking around the ship every hour or two to make sure that nobody was awake and wandering around. So of course I volunteer and get the job because I was one of the older scouts at the time. Well come 1 A.M., my friend and I don’t really feel like sitting around watching “Half-Baked” with the staff, so we go on patrol and get permission to go hang out on the flight deck for awhile when we’re done. They let us go, but instead of doing either of those things we decide to jump a few chain-fences, open a few off-the-path doors, and take a real tour of this ship. This was like my fifth time onboard and I thought I had seen it all, but off the tour path there is so much more! We must have seen every corner of the ship, but the weirdest things happened in one of the engine rooms (there are three more that aren’t part of the museum tour), and the brig. First we found the engine rooms, which are at the very bottom level of the ship. In all of them I got the strangest feeling that there was something else there, but in the last I swear I saw a man squatted down turning a valve. I yelled at my friend to look, but by the time he put his flashlight on him he was gone. We poked around some more, and eventually made our way to the front of the ship, two or three levels below the hanger. Walking down this hallway on the port side of the ship we both smelled what was distinctly bread being baked and heard what sounded like people preparing food in a kitchen, but soon the noise stopped and there was no kitchen around. In fact, the mess hall was two levels up and on the other side of the ship. Close by the “bakery hallway” was what must have been the brig. Behind a very heavy steel door with bars over the windows were about four or five small holding cells. As soon as I walked in I was instinctively certain that something very bad had happened in that room. After seeing all there was to see we left, and as we both walked out into the hallway I heard this really loud, agonizing SCREAM come from the room we were just in. My friend was just as terrified as myself, so we both went into a sprint and clamored up to the flight deck. There is no possible way that anybody on board was just messing with us, because there was only one door into the brig and we were right there the whole time. So we were both pretty freaked and ended up staying above deck until sunrise. Haven’t been back since but I plan on exploring the place again as soon as I get the chance.

Sara H. says:

February 3, 2009, 2:55 am

I visited this carrier last week and as I and a friend were walking up near where there are a lot of ropes used for the anchor area, I saw an apperation of a man dressed in a full Navy blues outfit in a room standing in the doorway that lead to the ropes. But as I got closer he disappeared. Really creeped me out because he looked so real.

travis says:

March 3, 2009, 10:06 am

ok with this one…at first i thought ghost were full of **** but that was before i went overnite on the lexington in corpus christi.the guy has long blond hair,blue eyes and wheres a navy uniform,he’s id say bout 6’4,6’5.how do i know this cause my scout troop did an overnighter there and the guy gave me and the scouts a tour around 10:30 on firewatch on tour #4 down to the engine room.no b.s about any part of this if you want to know go check it out for yourself

Laura Ashleyy says:

March 21, 2009, 2:35 pm

I’ve spent the night on the ship when I was around ten with Girl Scouts. They actually sat us down in the engine room (The girls that wanted to hear the ghost stories) and told us many stories about the supposed ghost on the ship. I remember the story of the trickster on the ship who was a blue eyed blonde hair guy around eighteen or nineteen who died on the ship who likes to play pranks. My friend I and swore we saw him walking back to the bunks where we were supposed to stay. I’ll never forget that experiance it was super creepy but intersting :]

melisa leaming says:

April 15, 2009, 10:22 pm

I have been on the uss lexington, and I have a pic of a ghost that I got on it…i can’t upload a pic on here though so I wish I could share it, it’s awesome :) didn’t know I had it until I downloaded the pics on my computer

Harper says:

June 11, 2009, 9:48 pm

I believe. ButI am about to go on a spend the night thing trip there and the person who is taking us said that a door slammed and a checker chip flew across the room.

Jess says:

June 22, 2009, 11:07 pm

My husband and I were in the Forcastle deck, leaving the Pearl Harbor Exhibit. I clumbsily made my way through the plastic flaps in the doorway and dropped my new keychains. I bent down to pick them up and I heard a man deep, harsh whisper say, “Get Ooout!”I got up in disbelieve begging my husband to tell me what or if he heard anything. He swore he didn’t and was bothered by my terrified expression. Only now am I reading up on the hauntings that I knew nothing prior to my experience. I still get goosebumps. Does anyone know what happened in the Forecastle deck?

Sherry Jones says:

June 25, 2009, 3:47 pm

I toured the USS Lexington last Saturday, June 20, 2009, with my husband & parents (who live on north Padre Island). I took the tour of the first level down alone and only saw other tourists for the first few minutes. I continued the rest of the level by myself. As reported by others, around the medical area & kitchen I felt the presence of sailors. In the locker room there was a locker open with a Navy uniform, shoes & some personal effects. I had difficulty breathing, felt an urgency to leave the area quickly, and the skin on my arms tingled. The sailors began to laugh. I believe they were reassuring me that they meant no harm. I felt compelled to laugh with them & did not feel I was in any danger; however, I know I walked quickly the rest of the way. They followed me for quite some time through the rest of the tour; in fact, they left when I finally met up with a teenage boy at the end of the tour. There was a lot of activity in the sleeping quarters on that tour; particularly around the berth that still had an old black & white mattress. One of the spirits was a handsome young man with dark hair; one of the other spirits was blonde with blue eyes; I believe they were in their late teens or early 20’s. The laughter seemed to come from more than two men; more like a room full.

chastity says:

July 22, 2009, 5:47 pm

er im supposed to stay there next weekend 0.0 im scared

dagenhart says:

August 27, 2009, 3:39 am

i went and stayed on the lex with my rotc company and i use to not be a big beliver untill i had a few experiances on the ship i was in sick bay and i saw a man in a white coat with a red cross on the back and under neath it he wore a uniform he asked me if i was lost i said no he then asked if there was anything wanted to know about and i asked him a few questions and he told me the answers well i thought that he worked there until i brought it up to the mp on the ship and he told me the story how he accidently died on the ship but no worrys he is very frendly if u see him say hi for me.

hillayjune says:

September 28, 2009, 7:44 pm

thats nice were going there on a field trip i hope someone pee there pants(:

Daniel says:

October 6, 2009, 6:45 pm

We just got back from a trip with our NJROTC group and i took a tour to the engine room with my group. i saw a light move as though it were running across the hall way. But what really scared me was that everyone in my group saw a sailor with a rifle in his hands doing drill movements. we left and came back and asked him a question (are you a sailor ?) and he ran away.

Greg says:

November 19, 2009, 7:37 pm

I have spent the night on the USS Lexington four times now. What many of you do not know, is that only 25% is open to the public. I have probably ventured in over 75%. I have a picture of me holding a picture of a flashlight in the brig:
Just look for yourselves. The picture just showed up like that, and my light wasn’t facing the camera. Those cells held over 40 people a piece. They were small then than 4×10, which means it was over one person per square foot. They said they had to close the bar doors with their feet. This is the only proof I have, I have MANY more stories (Yes, I have been in the battle dressing room where there are still axe marks and fingernail scratches on the bench and the corners and edges floor tiles are still stained with blood. This is where they would amputate something, to make a clean cut. The frames of the door were raised to keep the blood from leaking out of the room).
I can tell you that Charlie, the ghost who haunts the engine room, is far from the only ghost aboard this enormous aircraft carrier. I have personally talked to many of the employees (most are volunteers) and I could go on and on about this. Basically, what you should know, is that it is definitely the most haunted place in Texas, and probably one of the most in the world. If you are looking to see something paranormal, this is the place to hunt. Leave your questions in comments, and I will personally tell you where to go on the ship and wait, and I can almost guarantee that you will see something (The Mini Boss room).

Lyndsay says:

November 25, 2009, 12:58 am

Trust this story about the Uss. Lexington. The scary stuff you heard about is true. im in the NJROTC program, and im from Ohio. I stayed the night on that boat with my friends, and our Captain. During the night,we heard some crazy stuff. From The screaming in the bathroom, and seeing ghosts in our friends faces. This was the most haunted thing. The thing about the Charlie guy, i seen him and talked to him. The engine room we felt weird stuff, and in the engine room; i was with a group of friends touring and we seen a ghost in his Summer Blue Uniform(white shirt, black pants). The guy had a rifle in his hand and he was at port arms, then he went to parade rest. Then he was just standing there, so my friend called out an order “left shoulder, arms” and he did that. It freaked us out. Then we heard gun shots then the ghost left. Crazyest thing i ever seen. Never will i go back on that, to tour it or not.

Sherry Jones says:

December 4, 2009, 12:20 pm

Please refer to my posted story above on June 25, 2009. Over Thanksgiving weekend my mom was at my house & I told her of what happened to me on the Lexington. Last night on the phone she told me that she was so shocked at my story that she could not comment at the time, but a year or so ago she took other company on the Lexington. She was the only person who wanted to go down a story & look around & she was alone. She suddenly felt an urgency to get out of there, a little frightened, it was hard to breathe. She hurried to the stairs when two young men came up to her. A handsome dark haired man asked if she was leaving, she said yes, and he asked if she would like them to show her around. Behind him was a handsome blonde man. She said no thanks & hurriedly left. My description of the spirits were identical to the men she saw, even the way they approaced her & stood to her left, the blonde behind the brunette. She actually believed they were real men.

Jo says:

December 18, 2009, 12:57 pm

Sorry everyone but Ghost Hunters have been to Corpus and investigated the Lex. They debunked the unusual noises and found no evidence of haunting.

Javier P. says:

December 23, 2009, 2:48 am

ive been to the lexington pretty much every month lately…i think the stories are 100% true..i was in the hanger bay when i heard a slight voice when i was sitting down say “get up soldier and fight”…i was creeped out..i have never had such an experience and also in the operating room..i saw an operation take place then dissapeared…crrreeepppy

jack says:

January 19, 2010, 10:50 am

i also slept on the ship for boy scouts just 2 nights ago and i saw almost every room and they told ghost stories in the engine room and they told that exact same story.and i got a tour from the strangest man.he was blond peircing blue eyes a white dixi hat and an old saliors outfit.and all the doors that had something to do with the captian started shaking.and my frind was tripped.so i think it was haunted

pixi says:

February 24, 2010, 8:30 pm

ok whoever me is i wanna talk to you… for reals hit me up!

OJ Riley says:

February 24, 2010, 8:46 pm

i just started blieving in gohst and quite frankly, im shocked!!
(im 11)

David W. says:

March 4, 2010, 12:06 am

I took a picture of a dark corner in the engine room with absolutely no light a few weeks ago and forgot to use the camera’s flash, when I got the picture developed I could see a large light the size of a basketball about 2 or 3 feet of the ground. Other times I’ve also felt wierd or cold spots in places that have generally no draft at all. I’m souly convinced the “Blue Ghost” has ghosts of her own!

KK says:

March 4, 2010, 8:11 pm

I went to the Lexington last summer. I never saw a ghost but is sure was creepy. The one touring guide man scared the **** out of me he came out of no where! When we got to the engine room it defiantly was weird because their is cold spots in areas of the room.

Reilly freeman says:

March 15, 2010, 4:18 pm

i know this is true because i was running down the hall of the lexington during a Fire drill and brused my elbows and chin and when me and my scout master went down to sick bay and a man in a white lab coat and a red cross on the back and ha said “theirs nothing i can do, and we had to bo to a emergency room” so we went up to the entrance and asked a person who worked there and told her the doctor down in sick bay with the white lab coat and red cross on his back said there was nothing he could do and we had to go to the emergency room and we asked her where the emergency room was and she said “we dont have a doctor in sick bay we havent had one in 62 years.

mike says:

March 15, 2010, 6:54 pm

One time i went there, on a boy scout trip. And i thought it was pretty cool. The only part i hate is when we went into the engine room, looking through those dark hallways, and going to sleep. The best part is when i got out of the lexington. It felt so good to get out from the tightness. Oh and when i went into the engine room i hurried through it because i herd it’s the most haunted area of the ship.

Diana says:

March 29, 2010, 12:57 pm

Well i went to this ship last year with my family,i didnt know anything about this ship,as the moment we walk in i wanted to leave.At night time i had a dream where i was in love with this handsome white guy,im hispanic and im married,but anyways we was in love with me too he was asking me to leave my husband for him,even his mother appeard to me saying that her son really wanted to marry me but i see a paper on the wall saying that this guy that wanted to marry me had died in this ship so i woke up that night and couldnt sleep.I told my mother about it,she said its a spirit that was in the ship and maybe he was going to get married before he died.I cant remember his first name but his last name was smith and he was so handsome.

Matthew says:

May 1, 2010, 6:14 pm

I’ve been on the Lexington on a class trip, and I saw ghosts. One time, on the way to the movie, in a hallway, I saw a ghost about twenty feet away for a split second. He was this khaki guy with blood stains on his chest. He was dressed in all khaki.
Another time, on the normal floor, the bathroom where you go downstairs, there was a room lit with red lights. It was so dark even though it was morning time. I saw this janitor guy pass me and he disappeared.

Maria Martinez says:

July 17, 2010, 3:34 pm

I have been on this ship twice and my kids and myself have this funny feeling when we get on. On one of our visit it was close to closing time and we got lost! We were going in circles when to my surprise we saw this man (he had a mop looked old fashioned to me and he never looked into our eyes) and we asked for directions he pointed and we followed this place which led us in circles again. We tried to look for him but was no were to be seen. We were so scared that we ran out of there!!! We always remember this incident and tell our friends about it. Nevertheless, we will probably go back.

Keith says:

August 4, 2010, 10:58 am

Hello everybody. Im a person who does not believe in spirits. However I went on board the lexington and was making a video when this strange hollow sound came out nearby. AT first i thought it was a pipe but after playing the video on my school in slow motion and editing away the echoes, i got this freaky speech: “Im burning up on the lexington.” It might have been a coincidence but i was standing near the exact spot where a kamikaze plane crashed into the bridge, setting the whole area on fire. So that sentence could be someone calling for help from the bridge. Anyone who has heard the echoing sound pls reply to me on ur opinion.

Mission City Paranormal says:

August 20, 2010, 2:42 pm

We have been granted access to do an investigation there very shortly. Will let you know of our results!

Betsy Moon says:

September 26, 2010, 9:29 pm

We’re interested in finding out the engine room Sailor’s name. I think it would be interesting… My son’s JROTC group will be going down to spend a night soon and if he came upon the late Sailor, he could talk to him.

Greg says:

September 26, 2010, 9:45 pm

@ Betsy Moon:

They already know his name… it’s Charlie…
He was killed when the ship was hit with a torpedo.

jacob says:

October 23, 2010, 8:51 pm

iv been twice as a scout the second time one of the workers took us on a private tour way below where visitors are allowed. we were almost to the bottom of the ship we had to use flashlight to see because we were way below the decks with electricity. we were in a hallway that was used for the galleys and we passed one of the old freezers and turned into an office with a desk that was spottless not a speck of dust. our guide then said we needed to leave and all go back up she seemed very startled. later that night she explained that just a week before we arrived she had taen a group of freinds down there and they all left their handprints on a desk that had been covered in dust and grime a week before. she is the only person on the staff that ever takes people to that exact office…..

Pierce says:

January 17, 2011, 6:46 pm

I recently slept on the Lexington, in one of the rooms right below the CPO Lounge, with my scout troop. Unfortunately, nothing unusual happened except for this series of huge bangs right after Taps and the Lights Out call. One of the adult leaders came and asked who did that/what was that and no one said they had done anything. It seemed to come from the ceiling, but I am not sure. I had also been down to the engine room not far from the closing of the ship with two fellow Scouts, but did not feel anything unusual, I exited very quickly… I wish I had stayed longer and brought in my camera, now I can’t wait to go back!!!
I was also walking past the Sick bay with my dad, when he stopped and said “there’s someone in there!” when the room is locked… I wish I had looked!!!

chad says:

January 21, 2011, 12:25 pm

i went aboard the uss lexington with my airforce rotc class a couple of weeks ago and stayed the night. i now believe in ghosts because me and a couple of my friends have photos of ghosts in the engine room and the barber shop also in the little church area. i also heard screaming and whistling when i was alone down in the engine room.

melissa says:

April 3, 2011, 11:05 pm

I was there today….my mom and I were under the deck somewhere…not sure where this place is sooo huge…well was just us….and we saw this huge metal door slam..there was no one there….was behind a roped off area…so I BELIEVE….was a fun ship to tour..just thinkin about all the people in there and the emotions they felt.

Greg Creel says:

August 16, 2011, 6:56 pm

I lived aboard the Lady Lex from 1983 to 1987 do not recall seeing or hearing of a ghost, someday I hope to revisit.

Sheri Bridges says:

October 9, 2011, 3:04 pm

I had the opportunity to go aboard the U.S.S. Lexington in 1986 while it was docked for restoration in Pensacola, FL. I did not see or hear any ghosts while visiting but, now that I have heard the stories, I would like to revisit it someday!

mark varnadore says:

December 2, 2011, 11:01 am

I served on the LEX from 1971-1975, and I can assure you that it is haunted- I experienced it myself, although I didn’t see anything-I sure felt the presence of something-

angel says:

March 19, 2012, 1:25 am

i’ve been there i live down south of there so it was for a trip sponsored by the school and my class heard footsteps when we were taking pictures and one of my former friends has a pic of him and a friend and someones had is the back of his head like if he was reaching towards him i wanted it to post but as a former friend he was being a douche bag.

Sierra says:

July 26, 2013, 11:57 pm

I once stayed on the Lex for one night as a girl scout, but I think we pretty much avoided the boiler room. We were only in there for a split second before leaving. So I didn’t get to see anything, but that same week, I had a friend and her cousin, who was also my friend, visiting at my house and her cousin said that she had seen a man in the boiler room that did not look like he worked there, as he was wearing a soldier’s uniform.

Rose says:

January 13, 2015, 4:38 pm

I know this is true. Recently my two daughters were there for their high school homecoming and Military ball. As teenagers hearing that the Lexington is called a ghost ship they went and explored and of course took pictures. Certain things appeared in the pictures and we were amazed. They also did feel the cold spots and heard noises that were not coming from the dance.